Flat Roof Design & Materials: Need Assistance - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Flat Roof Design & Materials: Need Assistance

Moved thread to "roofing"

Advertisement

Last edited by dutchswan0311; 10-28-2011 at 09:05 AM.
dutchswan0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
43 years in construction

Noticing the winery sign, can I assume you are not in a snow load area? If not, the 12' span can easily be made with #2KD YP 2x8's at 16" c/c supporting 40 lb/sf LL plus 10 lb/sf DL which is more than enough for a roof/ceiling assembly. Spruce, pine, fir, hemlock, larch, or douglas fir in #2 grade require 12" c/c.

EPDM is a good roof system when professionally installed. It is not a good surface if rooftop parties are planned unless the EPDM is covered with large pavers having gaps for water drainage at the EPDM line. Such systems require heavier roof framing and a professional installation.

Is the plan to have an embattlement on all four sides? How are you handling the rain water drainage?

If I understand your term "firings" to mean "furring" to achieve the roof slope, that will work. The slope can also be achieved by scabbing sloped 2x6's to the sides of the level 2x8's and then the decking. Another method is to install SLOPED polyisocyanurate insulation board on top of a level roof deck. The insulation thickness might be a minimum of 4" and a maximum of 8". Anchored with screws & plates for wind uplift. This will provide the slope plus a monolithic R-30 insulation layer. The sloped insulation could also be installed to run to the building center and a roof drain. This would allow the crenellation motif on all four sides. Insulation below EPDM is not good for foot traffic.

Why the doors at the upper levels? Tall windows are available which seal against rain better than doors.

Ah, now the greatest obstacle. Stone veneer adheres best to mortar, cement board, or lath having a cement mortar scratch coat. Surfaces such as rubber or EPDM don't offer a reliable substrate for bonding to masonry in an exposed exterior installation especially on an inverted surface like you have below the battlement. To achieve waterproofing in medieval times, the parapet was often capped with lead or copper sheet over which shallow cap stones formed the merlons and taller cap stones formed the crenals. Gravity held it all together. Alas, with thin, light, stone veneer gravity isn't enough against high winds or contemporary watchtower guards. Maybe some of the tile & brick guys can offer you a reliable solution.

Rick

Advertisement

Arkitexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #3

If I understand your term "firings" to mean "furring" to achieve the roof slope, that will work. A: In my research, I ran across the term "firring" (with 2 'r's). I have no learned that that is a British term for what I am talking about.

Is the plan to have an embattlement on all four sides? A: Yes, all four sides.

How are you handling the rain water drainage? A: With supper drains such as the following:

Can I assume you are not in a snow load area? A: Central Iowa, so yes; estensive snow fall from December through February.

Why the doors at the upper levels? A: There will be false rot iron balconies.

Method of stone veneer stone application: A: The stone veneer would be installed by a company called "Centurion Stone". I believe they use a lath to adhere their product to.

I should note that the tower is approximately 13' x 10'. The roof starts at 36' high and will extend to 40' high. The battlements essteniall function as a railing for anyone that is on the roof. Owners/Staff may frequent this area, but it will not be open to the public visiting the winery.

Last edited by dutchswan0311; 10-27-2011 at 07:50 PM.
dutchswan0311 is offline   Reply With Quote