Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #1

Share |

Flashing windows/Installing exterior molding

Hello everyone, I’m a new member here…
So,the gf and I bought a house..an old farmhouse in upstate NY
She had some friends of hers replace the siding, they did not do very good job, but that is another discussion altogether…
I had put in vinyl replacement windows in last year…

My question is this…
When they j-channeled around the windows they simply did a terrible job, then they attempted to wrap the windows with aluminum and it’s not good, I don’t think her friends really knew what they were doing…
So now I want to take all the exterior molding/casing off the windows and replace with PVC molding….even the sills as they are all rotted out….
So I have a few questions…
I want to flash around the windows, when they sided, they left the old tarpaper on, and put ¼” foam over it, then the siding…
So, in watching the videos on you tube/and reading discussions on here, this is what I am thinking is the way to do it

Take off exterior molding, take out window, take off sill, put in a sill plate (I was thinking about the suresill product, others just use flashing tape from what I’ve seen), flash the top, sides, bottom of window…
New tar paper/foam if needed…
Install molding, put window back in…
That sound right?

Thanks in advance

Jeff

ripkin900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

missing some details but yes. everything on top goes over what is on bottom. Caulk the top and sides of the window nailing flange but not the bottom. Flash the bottom first, then side (over bottom) then top over sides. Weather barrier slit under old tarpaper and over flashing at head of window.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #3

Bob thanks for the reply....

Its not a flanged window, its a replacement window....and the original window was not flanged....

Other than that what other details would you like to know.....?

Thanks

JEff
ripkin900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #4

If the sills are rotted I'd never have installed replacement windows. Cheaper and faster to have installed new constrution windows with built in J molding.

I have a lady down the street from me that also tryed to save money and hired some jack leg.
I had given her a price and she said I was to high.
I drove by and thay had used 2 X 4's, 4' apart on the block house to shim the walls out, they had glued the J moulding in the corners and had use blue tape to hold it together.
Used cut nails to attach the light fixture right through the siding and had not used any blue foam between the 2 X 4's.
All the new windows had built in J moulding but they had used spray foam to fill that in and had just nailed the J to the face of the windows.

She fired them and had me come look at it again. Now the price is higher because I have to remove everything and start over.
She hires another set of wahoo's to do it. He shows up with just his 10 year old son and no ladders. Worked 2 days and got fired.
I finelly sent a girl that worked for me to do it. The job got done but she made them sign a reliece saying if it bowed, buckeled or can unlock she was on her own.
So how much money do you think she saved by having to pay 3, differant people?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Be sure to fill the gaps with low expanding window and door spray foam. Seal the outside edges by overlapping the flashing tape onto the edge of the window. When installing replacement windows the window flashing details from the old window would have remained in place. So now you are incorrectly installing the wrong window. But it still should not be a problem.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote