Flashing For Reframing Exterior Door - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2017, 07:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 140

flashing for reframing exterior door

My parents have a poorly installed 32" exterior door that has had moisture issues almost from the time it was built. I've been telling them for 2-3 years they need to have it replaced, and now they are finally as concerned about it as I am. However it is up to me, as they are not able to do it themselves. At this point one side jamb is rotted and disintegrated 4-5 inches up and the aluminum sill/threshold piece is shifting around. I've been telling them for 2 years. I guaranteed them they would have damage to the subfloor and framing that would need to be repaired, but no way of knowing how extensive it is until I get the old door out.

Several things I'd like to remedy. One is the door was prehung for a 4 9/16" wall, and they have 6" walls. So the contractor did the "easy" thing at the time and put pine extension jambs on the hinge side of the door, so that the doorknob plunger runs across the extension and makes a mess. Another thing is there is plenty of room on all sides for a 36" door, so I will be reframing for that.

My question is about flashing around the opening after I complete structural repairs. I see most places stock the wide flashing tape, but no one has anything that goes under the door that is entirely one piece and allows all water to drain outward. I came across SureSill in my searches, but it's not stocked anywhere so I'll have to order it. Anyone else had any experience with this product? Are there any other decent choices when reframing for a new door?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SureSill-...-040/202074145

Also they have horizontal tongue and groove pine nailed directly to the studs on the interior, so it'll be easy enough for me to expose the studs and assess the damage. I just want all parts on hand so I can get it in and out as quickly as possible.

Advertisement

badtheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:45 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,634

Re: flashing for reframing exterior door

That link you posted is fine. Probably a bit of overkill but most door installers have the tools to make then onsite out of metal.

Sounds like you are going to be prepared at the end of the day.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 140

Re: flashing for reframing exterior door

OK thanks. I just hate it when I come across a product that looks great, but no one stocks it. I always wonder why not.
badtheba is offline   Reply With Quote