Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #1

Share |

flashing around window with brick veneer

My house is on the water in quincy ma, the east winds and rain are to say the least brutal. The brick veneer on the second floor i think is not properly flashed if at all. The windows have to be replaced and i would like to know how they should be flashed before i talk to a contractor. What is the best way to flash an already existing wall and windows? On days with north east winds and rain we get a good amount of water in the kitchen under the windows. I have since put tacky roofers flashing around the outside of the window and the leak has subsided 95%. We need a contractor that knows what to do. Help

Last edited by Mark Whalen; 12-05-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Mark Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #2

water leak help

Mark Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

If you install new windows, make sure the flashing goes under the above and the adjacent "primary moisture barrier" (Tyvek/tar paper, etc) to make sure the water is shed behind the brick. Probably 2/3 of all windows are installed improperly, but I only see the problems of the 20% that show horrible signs soon.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #4

Are your windows installed with bucks, do they have trim butting up to the brick? Could you post a few picks? As the previous poster mentioned, they need to be sealed against the drainage plane under the brick.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #5

if you are replacing windows that are already bricked against you will be hard pressed to flash properly without removing brick. your window supplier should have solutions for a retrofit and using a good grade of commercial sealant at the brick/ window joint will be crucial. brick is very porous and there are times where a long driving soaking rain will get thru to the back. I have had to treat brick with a sealant to eliminate this problem. a good masonry suppiler, not a big box should be able to offer suggestions that are easily applied by a diy'er. you also may be able to add weep holes at the brick lintel above the window to release water and below the window bricksill to do same. hope this helps

Last edited by tpolk; 12-05-2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: brain freeze
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote