Fixing Side To Side Floor Joists - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

fixing side to side floor joists

Im leveling a porch, it was built on purpose with a 2" total slant down from back (where it attaches to house) to front (closest to backyard). these joists are running the "width" of the porch, SO i don't think i can just sister them up to make level. Am i going to have to rip all these joists out and start fresh with joists that run the opposite direction that i CAN level out, or i there another way to do this?! see picture below.
Attached Images

Advertisement

rlc05n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 726

Can not read what you wrote for the span. Does it say 13'6"?
If so your only talking about 3 joist, and there over spanned anyway.
Got a real picture of the porch?

Advertisement

GBrackins (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,032

I agree with Joe, if the joists span 13.5' they are over spanned, and depending on the fixtures you're gonna add in a Master Bath that'll be just additional weight to support.

without running any numbers I'd say 2x10 at 12" o.c. should do the trick.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #4

So are you suggesting just starting fresh with the new 2X10's running lengthwise and ripping out the old ones running width wise? is there ANY WAY to keep the old joists and still run the new ones? maybe i could plane the old ones and then notch the new ones to fit snugly crossing through the old? What im trying to avoid is having to detach the original breadboard ceiling below from the bottom of old joists to get those out and having to re attach ceiling to the bottom of the new joists!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #5

AND the span is 13'5". Sorry for the handwriting.

Last edited by rlc05n; 09-18-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #6

what do the existing floor joists connect to? can you post a few photos?

Old 09-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #7

Going to be far more work to try and use what you have, and there running the wrong direction anyway for a solid floor.
What's the issue, are we missing something?
Old 09-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #8

HA! not only were my floor joists weak because they were over spanned, but yesterday, my plumber decided to CUT ALL THE WAY DOWN THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF TWO of them to route the toilet line! OMG. I can not even describe my shock. pictures to come; now i have to work around all this plumbing when i replace the joists....

CUT
Joist> -----------------------------------///--------------------------------------
Old 09-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 628

plumbers are great.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #10

you have to seize all Sawzalls at the door ....

Old 09-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #11

Plumbers and HVAC guys are great for things like that.
I had to work on a 120 year old church where they had cut over 1/2 way through a 12" X12" main beam holding up a 3 story wall.
In the main dinning hall they had cut all the way through all the floor joist and tried to sister them back together with 2' long 2 X 6's and just 2 nails.
Instead of fixing the real problem with the floor joist sagging someone had just added layer after layer of plywood.
The old 1 X 6 baseboards where now only 3" tall.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #12

so you see the plumbers thought it wise to slice through 2 joists right down the middle, along with slicing through the top plate of the underneath wall in the middle and the bottom plate of the upper wall, of course...in the middle. We have now run 8 NEW joists with hangers across the whole bathroom floor going the correct direction and the plumbers have a lot of repiping to do.......
Attached Thumbnails
fixing side to side floor joists-img_1623.jpg   fixing side to side floor joists-img_1625.jpg   fixing side to side floor joists-img_1624.jpg  
Old 09-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 500

It's incomprehensible that someone would cut through framing to that extent. I can see how someone could cut a little more than they should, because they don't know the exact limits imposed by code, but to notch out 80% the depth of a joist. That lacks any common sense. I have to ask. Are your plumbers licensed? I can't imagine they are. If they are, I can tell you what I'd be doing in your situation. First (and regardles if they're licensed), I'd make sure they didn't step in my house again and wouldn't pay them a dime. I'd ask them to pay for the work needed to repair the damage. Secondly, I'd send those pictures to your state's licensing body. Not so much to get them in trouble, but to help ensure no one else is subjected to that level of incompetence.

A joist can be notched 1/6th actual (not nominal) depth. It can be drilled 1/3rd. These modifications cannot be made in the middle third of the span. Holes must be made at least 2" from the edge of the joist and from any other modification. A plate in a load bearing wall can be notched more than 50% only if reinforced with metal strapping. I'll spare you the stud requirements, since you didn't mention they hacked those. This is basic framing code every plumber should know, to ensure they route things in a way that will pass inspection and not compromise the home. Trades should not be blindly trusted. This is one reason pulling a permit on a renovation is SO important. It ensures work is inspected and that something like this is caught before it is hidden behind drywall.

Last edited by cortell; 09-29-2013 at 08:12 AM.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #14

Those floor joist should have been changed as we suggested.
A lay out for the plumbing done before the joist got installed to see if a joist needed to be moved, double up or headed off to eliminate all those issues you having.

Advertisement