Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #1

Share |

Fixing Rod Holes in Foundation

I have a poured concrete foundation and I have some discoloration on my walls. One of them has some water marks but I have about 15 total that have noticeable discoloration. I found a product online that is a swell plug that basically plugs the rod hole, then expands if it reacts with water to seal the hole. I would then apply hydraulic cement to level the wall. Has anybody ever heard of this type of plug and do they work?

Thanks

koz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Hydraulic cement is not to be used to level out an area.

The product you are considering may actually be hydraulic cement sold under a product brand name supported by advertising.

Hydraulic cement is meant to be applied to a relatively narrow crack or opening and can be used even in damp areas. It should be mixed in small amounts in a relatively moist state and forced or packed into the gap. The small expansion locks it into the opening as it expands. Since it is cement based, the bond is very good chemically and is mechanical because of the texture of the gap, plus any moisture enhances the long term curing. - Been used for decades on civil and engineering projects.

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:29 AM   #3

So, it sounds like I'm better off just using Hydraulic Cement and not buying the plugs.

Thanks.
koz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #4

Hi,

It seams we have a similar problem. I also have rod hole leaks in a poured concrete foundation (see "foundation leaks" post).

The hole size in my basement walls is roughly 5/8" diameter. It sounds like this may be too large for hydraulic cement repair based on the response from "concretemasonry". There are kits available to inject polyurethane foam into cracks that may be more effective or longer lasting. One of these products is Sika brand available at Lowes, at least in Canada.

I'll be watching both posts for an expert answer. My research elsewhere seems to lead to biased opinions base on what they are selling.

Good luck.
fixonce is offline   Reply With Quote