Fixing Leaking Garage - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fixing leaking garage

I am having water intrusion into my garage in between the cinder block walls and the poured concrete floor.

The house is a bi-level built in 1982. The garage doors are on the rear of the house. The water is coming in on the front of the house (lowest point of the house is the garage floor) My dad helped me seal where the poured concrete meets the cinder block with drylock fast plug and I though for sure this would work. Nope...garage flooded again. It just appears that the water is coming in at the seam, even after the fast plug was put down and cured, water appears to be coming from the same place as before.

I'm beginning to get frustrated. Not sure what to do

Advertisement

mk3vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 42

Fixing leaking garage

You most likely have to redirect that water away from your garage foundation with some sort of drainage system. Any amount of sealing you do will only be a temporary fix and the water will just find another way in. Pictures of the problem area might help get answers.

Advertisement

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim F For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-10-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 172

Fixing leaking garage

Move downspouts away and make sure that the grade slopes away from the foundation for several feet. That will help redirect surface water, but most likely won't fix the problem.
You must either deal with the water before it comes in or install a french drain to get the water to a pit after it comes in.

To actually fix it you will likely need to dig down to the footing around the perimeter so you can seal the footing and wall with a foundation coating and membrane; then install drainage tile and gravel to carry the water away either to a downhill location or to a sump pit so it can be pumped away.

A french drain is a channel that goes around the inside of the wall to collect and control water that does get in. Holes are drilled at the bottom of the block wall to allow water that gets into the block wall to drain away. This method doesn't seal up the leak it merely controls the water that does get in so you don't have a wet floor.

There is no method you can install that will permanently seal the wall from the inside, if water is pushing on the outside it will either leak in or push the wall in. You have to drain it away one way or another.
iamrfixit is online now   Reply With Quote