Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

fixing concrete steps with slate

Hi All!!
New person here looking for some concrete construction information.

My husband and I bought our first house. To be brief, the front steps (not attached to the house) are falling apart. The previous owner tried to hide the fact that they drifted away from the house, but after one winter season, the truth came out and the vinyl cement is lifting off in sheets because it wasn't done correctly to begin with.

We looked into getting the steps replaced, but it's WAY out of our budget.

SO, we're looking for an inexpensive way to fix the steps. I heard about putting slate on top of concrete steps.

Could someone point me us in the right direction to get started? We don't have a clue on where to start.

Thanks in advance!

jarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #2

maybe I should made the thread say "how do we fix concrete steps?" instead.

It doesn't have to be slate.....I've heard of bluestone. What would be the best way to fix concrete steps?

How thick should the slate/whatever we use be?

How do we make it stick?

Please....any info would be appreciated. I've been searching the web but not really coming up with results.

After dealing with the contractors as of late, I'm ready to take a jack hammer to them and call it a day.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,206

the mtl, while we'd never use it, does ok IF the prep is correct,,, most times that's why mtls fail - some idiot thinks he can diy ! beginning to think there's no one as penny-pinching as a h/o - used to think it was teachers & any municipal govt employee then i remember i, also own a home & swallow hard

no jackhammer - use a chipping gun & get down to the good conc,,, if there isn't any, you'll need to replace the steps,,, having a small budget won't help you save $ if you, too, don't perform correctly.

overlaying w/slate's much more $ than doing the conc repairs properly,,, w/o a good base, how long would the slate remain attached ? just mortar wouldn't be my choice on slate,,, post an ad on craig's list to ' rent ' a retired mason,,, good luck !
stadry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:20 AM   #4

Thanks for the luck itsreallyconc........I did chip away at the vinyl concrete and the steps underneath are not really that bad. There is good concrete underneath.....Just a couple spots that need some touching up.

I'm not real sure as to why the previous homeowner did this and done 3 times and wrong at that. I guess to hide the gap between the house and steps. IDK

I'm not going to jackhammer them! I was just kidding. The vinyl concrete lifts right off. I'm just frustrated with contractors right now. I had no problem replacing them, but NO ONE around here takes credit. They all want cash!! My husband and I only have half of what we need to pay them, so we were going to put the other half on credit. NOW, after all the bids and frustration, we just want to fix them ourselves.

I'm gonna clean them up real nice....take some pictures and post them up here and hopefully I can get some people on here to point me in the correct direction. I don't care if it's a temporary fix or whatever. Just to get us through until we have enough cash saved up......

anyone know of any good mason's in the western PA area?