Fixing Apartment Wall (drywall/stud Repair) - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2011, 01:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fixing apartment wall (drywall/stud repair)

Hello,

The previous owners of my apartment (3rd floor) removed a wall to open up the living room and office. When they removed the wall they left a beam across the ceiling and a vertical one on the left side at the end of where the wall was. They also made a complete mess of the dry wall on the right side.

I cut a hole to see if there were any obstacles behind the drywall which would have created the bulge that was on the right (there wasn't) and I've since removed all of their "handy" work in preparation for my project.

I'm looking to mirror the beam that's on the left side on the right so it looks even and from the right side beam I'm going to create a half wall with shelving.

My questions are around what is the appropriate way to construct the beam. I was going to use wood and tapcon screws with some construction adhesive to secure it to the wall. Most research I've done says wood and concrete are a bad idea due to moisture but they all seem to reference basements and not condos. The existing drywall is mounted directly onto the concrete behind it with what looks like construction adhesive and drywall screws which also was said to be a bad idea so I'm guessing that if the drywall hasn't rotted yet (the apartments are 10+ years old) that a wooden beam would be fine?

Thanks for any clarification!

Advertisement

DIY_Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:03 AM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

I guess by "beam" you mean post. Can't really picture what you're doing, but whenever wood is in contact with concrete it should be of the treated variety.

Advertisement

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
... whenever wood is in contact with concrete it should be of the treated variety.
Or have an EPDM gasket between the two.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
I guess by "beam" you mean post. Can't really picture what you're doing, but whenever wood is in contact with concrete it should be of the treated variety.
I don't know if this helps or confuses things more but if you look at the opening where the wall used to be there's about 4"x6" of wall running along the ceiling which extends the full length of the opening (I'm guessing where they covered the old top plate). When it reaches the left wall it continues down the wall to the floor to create an "⌐" in the opening. I'm looking to mirror it on the right side to create a bit more of an entrance way and break up a long stretch of wall.

It seems to be as simple as attach the stud to concrete, drywall and paint. I just want to make sure it doesn't rot out in a year or two so if wood was safe to use then I was going to go for pressure treated.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 680

Post a picture for far better ansewers.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #6

I've attached two shots to try and help explain it. The white boards sticking out from the wall are just cardboard to check the spacing.
Attached Images

Advertisement