Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #1

Share |

fixing an 1860's barn floor. HELP!

My husband and I just bought a beautiful 1860's farm house with a barn. we have to redo the floor of the barn 100% because we want to put horses in it. however, i have been searching for days online and cant find how to build the floor to hold them. every chart or direction i found is for barns that are on the ground. ours sits on a hill so most of it is held up by big timbers and granite walls so we cant pour concrete. what size and type beams should we use and what is the spacing? any help would be great. thanks

hunterdoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

fixing an 1860's barn floor. HELP!

The size and spacing of the beams is generally determined by a structural engineer, based on the load applied (horses in this case) and the geometry of the beams. In your case, the controlling factor is likely to be either the floor planks or the supporting beams, but both need to be checked for strength, deflection, and at the connections. Given the large weight of a horse (we have a horse, and she weighs some 1500 lbs I believe), and the potential for large load on a single hoof, plus impact if they stomp down, you really need this designed by a professional engineer. Would you really trust an over the internet design, where the penalty for error is serious injury to your horse?

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
barns, construction, help me please