Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

fix a sagging roof ridge...??

Hi,

I've got a bit of a problem I need to figure out. I've put a new dormer on the back of my house, and now I need to make the old roof on the front of the house meet up with the new ridge. The problem is that the new ridge is nice and straight and level, but the old roof sags about 3 inches in the middle. The old roof is just 2x4 stick frame.

View from front:

fix a sagging roof ridge...??-current-front-view.jpg

Current profile:

fix a sagging roof ridge...??-current-profile.jpg

My plan is to put in a knee wall and run a 2x8 rafter from the exterior wall to the knee wall, and from the knee wall to the new ridge.

Proposed profile:

fix a sagging roof ridge...??-proposed-profile.jpg

Does this look OK? The building inspector doesn't have any requirements for the old section of roof.

thanks in advance!

red86yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

While you're checking out that "sag", take an eyeball down the ridge line, from gable to gable. Chances are, your sag could be coming, at least in part, from the ridge bowing to one side. I know you said it looked straight, but did you put a stringn on it?

Just something to be aware of. It might influence your intended method of repair.

Last edited by Willie T; 02-06-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by red86yota View Post
Hi,

I've got a bit of a problem I need to figure out. I've put a new dormer on the back of my house, and now I need to make the old roof on the front of the house meet up with the new ridge. The problem is that the new ridge is nice and straight and level, but the old roof sags about 3 inches in the middle. The old roof is just 2x4 stick frame.

View from front:

Attachment 8049

Current profile:

Attachment 8050

My plan is to put in a knee wall and run a 2x8 rafter from the exterior wall to the knee wall, and from the knee wall to the new ridge.

Proposed profile:

Attachment 8051

Does this look OK? The building inspector doesn't have any requirements for the old section of roof.

thanks in advance!
Usually when the ridge sags, the 1st floor walls are forced outwards by pressure exerted from the rafters. If the wall doesn't move out, the birds mouths open because they were improperly fastened.
To pull this back will be most difficult! Your knee wall is a good idea, to reinforce the rafters.
After placing the knee wall, I'd be inclined to run external stringers, lateraly with shims to level them off, then re-sheet the roof on the stringers.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote