DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Fix Garage Slope

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Gary in WA 
#1 ·
my house, like most houses in this neighborhood, has a 2-car tandem garage that slopes inward to a floor drain. The previous owner had built an addition into the back part of the garage, making it a 1-car. However, the addition now covers the floor drain. The garage is still sloped inward but no floor drain for water to drain into. Modern code says garage should be slope outward.

What is the best way to fix this?

#3 ·
please clarify what you mean by get access to the original drain?

I don't know exactly where the drain is. but its somewhere under the sleeper floor of the addition. I don't want to tear that up. I don't suppose there's a way to allow water to drain underneath the floor.

The only options I can think of is install new drain, or reslope the floor. both of which sounds expensive. The drain trench idea doesn't solve the problem of dragging water in when you drive into garage when its raining. The driveway is sloped away, so I'm not so worried about water getting in that way.

#5 ·
The floor drain is REQUIRED by Code to drain a gasoline leak safely away outside or out the vehicle door with sloped non-combustible floor. You cannot add electrical to this system.
Page #4, top right—older versions are as I stated: http://www.codecheck.com/cc/images/CC5thEdSample.pdf

Check with your LOCAL Building Department or Fire Marshal.

Be safe, Gary

#7 ·
I think the idea is to remove the liquid fuel before or while a fire is active. Older codes accepted drains, have not seen current ones or researched them...... Anyone? A house fire, especially in the garage (location of majority of electrical panels), would stop any power to a motor or air compressor. Anything other than Code would/should be approved by local officials. Invent it, patent it, save lives, I'm all for that! I enjoy thinking "outside the box" too, and it keeps the gray matter fresh....

Be safe, Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.