Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #1

Share |

Fix Doors That Close or Open

Is there an easy way to fix or correct doors that close or open?

limitdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #2

It's very easy.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:03 PM   #3

How?
There are several doors in our house that when left open, will start to close....

And there are several doors in our house that when almost closed will start to open.
The inspector said its probably due to the frames not being level.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:12 PM   #4

Has the house settled causing the door frames and jambs to be out of plumb? I lived once where settling was common - every few years one would remove the casings and reshim and plumb the doors. Also drywall crack repair was common...
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Has the house settled causing the door frames and jambs to be out of plumb? I lived once where settling was common - every few years one would remove the casings and reshim and plumb the doors. Also drywall crack repair was common...
I'm not sure. I just bought the house. it was built in 1991. Forgive my ignorance, but what does "out of plumb" mean?
Old 07-31-2009, 05:40 AM   #6

Quick simple method, remove the top hinge pin and give it a whack, bending it slightly. The friction from the bent pin will slow hinge movement. If one does not do the job, try two.

If they won't stay closed because the door latch and latch plate no longer line up, different issue. You usually need to reset the latch plate on the jamb.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Quick simple method, remove the top hinge pin and give it a whack, bending it slightly. The friction from the bent pin will slow hinge movement. If one does not do the job, try two.
Thank you!
Old 07-31-2009, 09:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Good idea and no downside.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
Household Handyman

limitdiy--It's not "ignorance", everyone cannot know everything. I'm sure you have some skills in an area that I know nothing about, that does not make me ignorant, it just means I need to learn more about that area. The hinge pin trick is an old one and works very well, I use it often. As fare as "plumb", any surface that is in a flat horizontal plane will be "level", any surface that is in a straight up and down vertical plane and 90 to a horizontal plane will be "plumb". The threshold of a door should be level with the door casings (sides) being "plumb" to the threshold. If all this is in order the door will operate as it should. A lot of houses will settle over time, it seems like I see homes built in the last ten (10) years settling more than some older homes now. I believe this is due to some (not all) contractors not utilizing proper soil compaction and footer construction before construction of the home. Consequently, the doors begin to act up, such as yours are doing. Your average $3 level will not show this small amount of "out of plumb" on your doors (IMO), it takes a good level with a good "plumb" vial to find this. OR-I like this method, measure out from the top corner of the door jamb six inches (6") and make a mark. I like to do this in the middle of the door edges. Using a plumb bob, let it hang until it almost touches the threshold and is stable. Make a mark there. This mark should be six inches (6") also if the door is level, plumb, and square. Not six and and one-sixteenth, SIX on the dot. Bend you hinge pins and they should stop that ghostly moving. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
Wire Chewer

A good hit with a hammer on the frame (side that holds the door) can help too. Depending on how unlevel it is, here the bottom or top portion more. May want to put a piece of wood then hit the wood instead.

Adding shimming inside the door hinges helps too a bit, just thick paper or something.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:28 PM   #11

Thanks for all the info, guys!
Good point, Thurman, my expertise would be computers.