Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:34 PM   #1
Beer Advocate

Rewards Points: 150

First wall up, questions! =)

Ok so I got my first framed wall up tonight in my basement. I ran into a few things and wanted to know if someone could give me some pointers!

First of all I am having trouble toe-nailing the 2x4's into each other. My nailer isn't shooting them all the way in. They hang out in some places 1/4 inch! I cranked up the PSI to 110 from the 90 that was sinking then fine head on. Still no go! How high should it be set, and how high can you set it?

That brings me to the next question. I tried hammering some of the nails in deeper. Since they are on a huge angle its hard to catch them square with the hammer. Now I know this is a picked up skill that you will get better at, but its frustrating as hell right now. Can you leave them sticking out a touch or do they have to be sunk flush? Obviously the pro way would be to set them all the way in, but they are holding the studs great so should I worry?

I had to set the top plate and bottom plates seperate because of my screwed up gap and uneven joice to floor issues. So I cut and fitted each stud. I spanned a 2x4 across them all and a few sit back a slight bit from the others. Seems near the top they are closer but in the middle there is somewhat of a difference because of the warping of the wood? Is this normal, I feel like they need to be perfect but I also know the wood is not, so I think I might be overly paranoid!

Thanks!

Taipans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

How long of nails are you driving? Make sure they are not going through your bottom plate and hitting concrete. The nail gun needs to be tight to the wood to drive properly. Align the angle of the gun to the plain of the stud. If you're not using an angled gun I don't think you ever get the nails to drive fully. Assume these are not load bearing walls. As long as you have 1" penetration into the top and bottom plates you should be fine. Assume you have checked for crown before you placed the studs. All of the crowns must face the same way. If a 2X4 has excessive crown I set it aside and use it for some other purpose. A straight edge along the studs should touch all studs or you'll have wavy drywall. I use greenboard for basements instead of regular drywall due to the possibility of higher humidity...even in a dry basement

Hancockian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
Beer Advocate

Crown.. *BLEEP*. I knew I heard this somewhere else, and no on the first wall I didn't even think about it! I might of gotten lucky though as it seems only 1 of the studs is setback. I can remove it and spin it around when I get home!

What do you mean hold it at the plane? Doesn't it need to be angled so it shoots through both pieces? I am using the same 3 inch nails everywhere. And no I am aiming high enough so they wont hit the concrete. And right, none are load bearing!

I was worried if they stuck out a bit it would fail code or something!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Toe nailing with the nails not setting at the right depth:

You may be hitting the concrete, if nailing the sole plate.

Is the gun depth adustment set right?
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
Beer Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Toe nailing with the nails not setting at the right depth:

You may be hitting the concrete, if nailing the sole plate.

Is the gun depth adustment set right?

Well it does it on the top plates also. Gun depth on this particular model is adjusted via air pressure alone. I was at around 95 psi to sink a 3" nail 100% into a 2x4 head on. Now im up around 105-110 PSI but it leaves them out a bit when toe-nailing.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #6

When you fire the gun: Hold the back of the housing, while not blocking the exhaust vent. Do not let the gun "Kick-back" on you.
Keep it in place as you depress the trigger.

Nails will not sink all the way, if you allow the force of the gun to kick-back on you. When you hold the gun, solidly in place, not allowing gun "kick-back", the nails will drive deeper.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
Beer Advocate

Ok I had that thought but didn't know if you were suppose to do that or not. It seemed earlier people were saying if you hold the gun down hard it tends to double fire easier. So I had been holding it to the stud with an angle via one hand and yes it has been kicking back. I will push the SOB down hard and allow minimal kick on the next round!

I did position the nailer a few times upside down, pushed the front of it into place and pulled the trigger. Nothing happened. It even seemed to shoot some air back at me but did not fire. This wasn't the case when done fast. Is there a time limit on shooting it?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #8

The nose saftey has to be fully depressed, THEN you put your finger on the trigger and depress it quick and lightly.

1.) The gun will not fire, if you depress first, and then depress the nose safety.

2.) If you depress the trigger with too much force and too long, the gun will double fire.

Be light on the trigger. Be firm, in holding the gun in place.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #9
Beer Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
The nose saftey has to be fully depressed, THEN you put your finger on the trigger and depress it quick and lightly.

1.) The gun will not fire, if you depress first, and then depress the nose safety.

2.) If you depress the trigger with too much force and too long, the gun will double fire.

Be light on the trigger. Be firm, in holding the gun in place.
Will do! As usual thank you for the guidance! I do appreciate it very much!