First Time Shower Tile Blues - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2011, 12:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 526

first time shower tile blues

I was doing tape on cement board and found how NOT sticky self stick tape for cement board is. Normal? or better brand?

I am going up 5 ' above tub with tile line. Above that I used dens shield drywall,,,do I use thinset like cement board to tape or drywall compound???

how many coats of thinset does it take? for the newbie? Used to doing drywall,,first time cement board tape job.

If I find a high spot tommorrow,,,cut it off with sharp end of knife???or rub with cement brick rubber with a handle on it.??? Do you sand at all?

just trying to get something right the FIRST try!!!

Advertisement

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,614

first time shower tile blues

Quote:
I was doing tape on cement board and found how NOT sticky self stick tape for cement board is. Normal?
Yup, I'm afraid so. In the future you can wipe away the dust with a damp sponge and let the board dry thoroughly then apply the tape.

Quote:
I am going up 5 ' above tub with tile line. Above that I used dens shield drywall,,,do I use thinset like cement board to tape or drywall compound???
So you are painting above the 5' mark?

Quote:
how many coats of thinset does it take?
Usually one is enough.

Quote:
If I find a high spot tommorrow,,,cut it off with sharp end of knife???or rub with cement brick rubber with a handle on it.???
Don't know why that would happen but yes you can brick-rub it.

Quote:
Do you sand at all?
Nope.

Advertisement