DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

First time building a deck, need some tips

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  GBrackins 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I just moved to a new house and there is currently an old dingy deck sized at 8'5" x 10'2" I am planning on tearing it out and building one sized at 8'5" x 22'5" adjacent to the current deck are concrete slabs that are sitting about 9" high, should I remove those slabs/blocks or can I simply mount it on top, and is ther anything else I should make sure to check/do. any tips for a beginner would be greatly appreciated.

Moe

ps. some pictures to help give you an idea of what im dealing with
http://s19.postimage.org/vq6mw33uq/IMG_0167.jpg
http://s19.postimage.org/j02eizvwi/IMG_0168.jpg
http://s19.postimage.org/3smeyn41u/IMG_0169.jpg
http://s19.postimage.org/5lpbmyp8i/IMG_0170.jpg

#2 ·
Mr.rahal90

this link will give you the American Wood Council's "Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide." This guide is based upon the requirements of the 2009 International Residential Code, the basis for most local and state building codes.

http://www.awc.org/publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf it will provide you a prescriptive means of designing your deck. It is fairly simple and straightforward. Should you have any questions after checking it out please post them here and you'll surely get the answer to your questions.

I would recommend taking out the blocks and slabs. it appears from the photos the blocks are just laying on the ground with the slab on top. When building a deck your need a foundation sized to carry the load of the deck. If you notice your existing deck it appears that you have a concrete sonotube (round foundation) that extends into the ground. These are typically used to support a deck. Are you planning on removing the existing deck? Please say yes .....

You will need to check at your building department to determine the following:

1. is a building permit required
2. what building code do you have to meet the requirements of
3. what drawings, if any, will they need submitted for your permit
4. what is the frost depth for your deck's foundation
5. what is your ground snow load (if any)

Again, review the guide and come back with any questions in regards to your project.

Good luck!

#3 ·
All that block and stepping stone needs to go. It's built completly wrong.

Pressure treated lumber comes 8, 10,12,14,and 16' long. To reduce waste, skip odd ball lengths like 8'6".
Figure out exactly what you plan on placing on the deck. If you plan on something like 4 chairs and a table your going to find 8' is to tight to walk around.

Your going to need a permit to build this.

Do yourself a favor and buy a book on deck building. It will give you some ideas on how there built and will teach you some of the terms used when asking questions.

Ask lots of questions before building anything. If you look though some of the hundreds of posts on decks at least 99% of them are from people that have already built the deck wrong and now want to know how to fix it.
A deck that low I would build it free standing. (not attached to the house)
Reason being is then there's 0 chance of damage to the walls of the house.

What's your budget?

#5 ·
wow okay alot of info to process, im gonna have to go through all this slowly.

@gbrackins - yes I am definitely taking the old wooden structure out haha
@joecaption - I havent really placed a budget on myself, I just really wanted to do it properly, but wanted to do it myself, just for the learning experience/satisfaction.

Thanks for the info guys, i am going to do a little research and ill post once I have any questions!

Thanks a ton,
Moe

#7 · (Edited)
if anyone can clarify, I live in gormley/stouffville ontario if anyone has any experience witht he area and can tell me what the minimum size to get away without needing a permit is? keep in mind im not planning on resting a roof on it, nor will it be attached to the house, and it is quite low.
thanks

#10 ·
We would all just be guessing on permit or no permit. Cheaper to just draw up the plans and go down and ask in person then to build it and find out after you needed one.

Whenever possible I like to built my decks as if there going to be enclosed and roofed at some point so someone does not have to go back and redo the whole deck again.
Time and time again someone buys a house and has never spent on day outside on the property and wants a deck built and says they do not want a roof or screens.
Next year there calling and saying it's so hot they can not use the deck or the bugs are so bad they can not go out at night.

Reactions: Mr.rahal90
#11 ·
@kwikfishron - thanks, im gonna have to see about the windows then, maybe replace them while im at it, easier all at once.

@jowcaption - okay that makes sense, and yea for sure never know what happens down the road. I will probably just get a permit and do it properly.

#17 ·
thanks for the clarification on the tempered windows it makes alot of sense now,
and to be honest I didn't give the stone/brick patio a thought, but it sounds like a great idea as well, i'm not against it, do they follow the same permit guidelines as wooden decks? to be honest with you, the permit is kind of dampening my mood and desire to create the thing, ive seen whats required and it isnt too simple.

#19 ·
patios are a lot less stringent in their requirements, I do not know of a building department in my area that requires a permit for a patio, decks require permits

I am getting ready to demo a 30 year old deck (talk about a trampoline) on my place and replace it with a ground level patio with some stone counters for an outdoor kitchen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.