Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 262

first deck build...need some help

now that the pergola is gone....not sure what to do w/ the space?

maybe a low deck over ( or on?) the patio?? i'd like to close in the open spot on the right side near the garage.

could I build right on the patio?

Last edited by joetab24; 03-23-2010 at 08:25 PM.
joetab24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #2

or maybe i'll stain the concrete?....anyone done this?

Old 03-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,458

What's the Wife want?
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #4

honestly, my wife doesn't have the patience for home improvement. she loves to talk about changes/upgrades, bust as soon as I start a project she gets squeamish. she's ok with either approach as long as I do it right.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
Mod

Your set up perfectly to build off the patio. I’d come up so the decking ended up right under the door sill.
Do you want to cover it?
Old 03-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #6

a friend of mine emailed me this advice....

"You don't want the deck directly on the slab, because every rainstorm will trap water there which will sit there and rot the wood, and even pressure treated wood won't last long that way. At the very least you want it up a couple inches, but personally I would "lift" it to the height of the back door anyway. That will let you get a leaf blower under it and blow the crap (leaves, twigs, hot dog bun pieces) that will inevitably fall between the boards and clean it out once in a while. I'd try to run the joists side to side so you can "blow" the stuff out, if you run them front to back you can only blow the stuff against the house, which you really don't want.

You might not have enough height to use those piers from earlier in the thread (add that height to a 2x6 or preferably 2x8 joist) and you might be too high. But using a few pavers and then the joists might give you the right height. Run the back joist into and fastened to the back wall of the house, that will give you stability from having it "drift." I'd try to run the joists side to side so you can "blow" the stuff out, if you run them front to back you can only blow the stuff against the house, which you really don't want.

My neighbor concocted an awning out of canvas (I think he told me he got it at a marine store: sailcloth, maybe?) and PVC pipes. It's about 5' x 20', with a triangular frame built from heavy duty PVC. Gorgeous blue color canvas. He put grommets in the canvas, then looped rope through the grommets and around the pipe, which attached to the house. Looks good, actually. Only covers about half the porch, but he says that's all he wanted; enough coverage for the grill and the doghouse.

Looks kind of like this without the curvature:
http://www.austinsignsfl.com/images/awning3.jpg

Attached kind of like this, with one continuous rope:
http://www.tarpcountry.com/images/lashed-tarp.jpg

Using one of these will give you a 4x4 anchor from which you can run a "stub" to lift the deck. And these will keep the end of the 4x4 off any pooled water as well.

link broken "
Old 03-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #7

having never done a job like this before I need to break this down step by step

where to begin?
Old 03-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #8

can i secure deck posts to the sides of the concrete by using a hammer drill and some concrete anchors?

would i have to attach a low deck like this to the house?

i have 8.5" from the slab to the wood at the bottom of my door

Last edited by joetab24; 03-27-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
Mod

If your going to put some kind of cover over the top I would run treated 4x4 into the ground in concrete just to the outside and up against your patio slab.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #10

i probably won't do a top/cover.....in a few other threads others have commented on the problems i might have with the slope of a roof...i don't know enough about roofs to know what issues i might have with such a project...

so if i am not going to build a roof, would it be ok to go into the side of the concrete?

Last edited by joetab24; 03-27-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #11

i've posted a few threads as i've torn down the pergola and considered various ways to improve this space

pretty sure I want to build a deck back here, no roof.

i have 8.5" from the current concrete slab to the wood at the door

not sure how exactly to proceed

found this website...

http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/artic...ticle_id=60428

they anchor the joists (perpendicular to the house) directly to the concrete using L brackets...

i know if I have to install some pier blocks into the grass to attach the joists

if i use 2 X 6s for my joists (5 1/2 " height) and 2 X4s for my decking (1.5" height), i will be very close to the bottom of the door, which is about 8.5" from the concrete.

Last edited by joetab24; 03-31-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #12
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

The individual blocking for piers are rather costly.

I'd, personally, dig and cement in 4x4's (or bigger) - cantilever the deck a bit so the posts won't show - and build a classic deck bypassing the use of the current concrete and attaching the deck to the house properly.

You can get a bit creative with large wooden flower pots or decorative benches instead of a railing. . . and I'd build a privacy fence and let it grow over with a flower ivy of some type - or no flowering.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #13

found this video from bob villa's website. a free floating deck over a concrete slab is being installed. metal fasteners are being used so that no wood has contact with concrete.

http://tinyurl.com/ygfu6sr

just curious, when i watch the villa video, i can't tell how they secured the band joist to the small posts that are nailed to the concrete via the fastener. Are they just sitting on them?

Last edited by joetab24; 03-28-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Yeah, good solution.
Any contact of concrete slabs and so forth with deck wood will lead to rot and mold - at the least.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #15

snav,

if, or when, you have a moment, can you see in the video how they are stabilizing the band joist?