Firewall Code - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

firewall code

I built a 30x30x10' Pole building garage. It is 4' from the property line. The inspetor told me that new 2012 code says that I have to 2 hour firewall the end near the property line. I did what he asked. I sheeted both sides of the wall with 5/8'' Fire Curb type X sheet rock. He came back to check the firewall before I sided over it. He then said that all seems have to be blocked or mudded and taped. Again I did what he asked and mudded and taped all the seems. He came back and inspected the wall again. Now he tells me that I cant use the 5/8'' flame Curb on the exterior wall and I have to resheet over it with another kind of fire rated sheet rock. So he failed the firewall inspection even with me doing exactly what he told me to do. Is he right? Am I right? I mean what is going on,this is rediculous. Its just a garage.

Advertisement

eric5170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 256

firewall code

Perhaps the inspecter is just getting up to speed on the 2012 code. Have you asked for a pamphlet or copy of the code? It sounds like you drywalled the interior and exterior of your wall with the same product which probably would not be rated for exterior use. Would it satisy him to put a double layer on the inside? Ask questions politely, many inspecters don't like their authority being questioned.

Advertisement

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 77

firewall code

You didn't say how many layers you put on each side but a 2 hr wall usually means two layers of fire block each side. did you use paper faced (interior) gypsum on the outside? Is that the reason he flunked you? They do also make a type x exterior product with fiberglass facers. Best bet is to find out exactly what he took exception to and try to ask if that was the only problem.
eclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Architect

Rewards Points: 150

firewall code

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb1 View Post
Would it satisy him to put a double layer on the inside?
This won't satisfy the UL requirement for this 2 hour wall construction.
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Architect

firewall code

They make type "X" gyp. for exterior application.

http://www.americangypsum.com/products/detail/?p_id=137

More importantly, I have never seen anything in the code that requires fire rated construction adjacent to the property line so long as you maintained the required set-back.

I am going to take a look at the code for you real fast, give me a minute.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
Architect

firewall code

Per the Residential Building Code (verify this is the accepted code for your jurisdiction), exterior building walls constructed less than 5' from an adjacent structure must maintain "1 hour tested in accordance with ASTM E 199 or UL 263 with exposure from both sides.)

Changing out the exterior layer of gypsum board to exterior grade type "X", taping and mudding it, and then house wrap with your finishing system should solve the issue.

Advertisement