Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #1

Share |

Fireplace Remodeling

My wife and I are interesting in converting our fireplace into a double sided fireplace. We'd like to view from living room and den. Currently it can be seen in the living room only. What steps should we take/ who should we contact to check this out to see if converting it is even possible? Urgently awaiting your response. Thanks
Attached Images

Dance3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #2

Fireplace Remodeling

A mason is who you need to contact.
You talking a major job to change it.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #3

Fireplace Remodeling

Whats with the urgency. You're not standing there with a sledge are you??

Sorry..couldn't resist

Seriously, that sure is a nice looking mantle. Almost a shame to rip it out
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #4

Fireplace Remodeling

No urgency Creeper and I decided to leave the sledge hammer in my garage, lol. Thanks for your feedback. I guess we were on the right track. Its just a thought, but if it's too extensive of a job, we'll probably pass on it.
Dance3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
JOATMON

Fireplace Remodeling

If it helps any.....I'm researching 2 sided fireplaces right now....but in my case, it's new construction.

Question....is the fireplace original or was it added later? If added later, it might be less work to convert.....if original....wow...I can see that as being a lot of work. Basically, the bottom is supporting all of the rock above it.....

On a side by related note....it is a good looking mantel....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
DIY-er

Fireplace Remodeling

Most fireplaces that are open to two, three and four sides are new construction products, rather than conversions.

First you would have to see if the fireplace is in a load-bearing wall. If so, you may need to reinforce/add post and beam to ensure removing the walls would be structurally sound.

Second, once everything is taken apart, you should consult with a fireplace installer or an HVAC person to see if the existing chimney is sound or needs to be retrofitted. If you have no problems now, you are likely OK, but it is good to find out for sure. An HVAC person could tell you whether the change would affect the amount of air pressure in your home to effectively draw the smoke up the chimney.

Third, you will have to reconstruct everything below the chimney to make sure the chimney can be supported on the two short sides.

Then you can purchase a two-sided fireplace box and install it. Many are sold online.

Kevin
KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

Fireplace Remodeling

That's a huge undertaking if you were to try to carry the backside of the FP & chimney, and just install a see thru insert.

It would be an even bigger job to make a two sides masonry FP, like you have now. Not to mention, it wouldn't perform well at all at putting heat out.........

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote