Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #1

Share |

Fireplace Remodel - Insulation around chimney

See the photos in the links below:

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...817/Fireplace/

As you can see I removed the brick facing around the fireplace as well as the hearth. I will be putting tile around the opening and floor and building a wood mantle and installing drywall above the mantle. I will need to build a horizontal 2x4 or 2x6 header just above the firebox opening so I can attach studs between the header and ceiling so that drywall can be installed. And I will use cement board around the opening for the tile. There is/was no insulation in this entire living room wall including behind the brick facing.

2 issues come to mind:
1) I will be adding insulation to the main wall but what about around the chimney? Can I add insulation near the chimney pipe? Is that even necessary?

2) How do I attach the cement board to the metal firebox? It will be screwed to the stud and then fastened to the firebox somehow. Do I need to use some kind of heat resistant adhesive?

GeauxCajuns82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #2

Here is some info on a company that sells high-heat sealants for fireplaces and wood burning stoves. I bought a tube of their 500 degree F sealant and there was also one that withstands heat up to 800 F. I found them at Home Depot in the dept. where they sell wood burning stoves and fireplace items. Don't ask for it in the paint dept., you'll probably be told that they don't sell it. It took me three trips there to find the right person who could show me where it was

www.rutland.com
1-800-544-1307
1-802-775-5519

They might be able to answer some of your questions too.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Use Roxul - Fire-rated insulation.

Link: http://www.roxul.com/sw34066.asp
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #4

The firebox itself is insulated, correct? And the vent pipe is also insulated, correct? So neither of these should ever get hot right?

I measured the distance between the back of the vertical studs I installed (not shown) and the vent pipe and its about 5 inches. Does the building code recommend a minimum distance between the vent pipe and any combustible material? How do I attach this fire-rated insulation to the back of the studs when I can't access it from the back? Do I use some kind of adhesive? If I just put it between the studs then the back of the stud would be exposed thereby nullifying the fire-rated insulation. I was just going to staple regular R-13 wall insulation there and put the sheetrock over it. Am I creating a fire hazard by doing this?
GeauxCajuns82 is offline   Reply With Quote