Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fireplace/Firebox Repair/Restore

All you Masons out there, I would love some advice.

I am wanting to restore my fireplace and instead of having it wood burning, either have a gas log installed, or a complete gas insert - preferably a gas log, as it will cost like $3000 dollars less.

The attached pictures are of the inside of my firebox - it is in pretty rough shape (my house is 101 years old)....

I know I need to have a professional come out and do a formal inspection - which I will - however I just wanted to see what you guys thought in the meantime. Do you think this can be repaired via refractory mortar? That is probably the only thing I'd do in terms of "DIY"...Or does it look serious enough to have to replace actual bricks by a professional?

Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Fireplace/Firebox Repair/Restore-ash-dump-hole.jpg   Fireplace/Firebox Repair/Restore-back-wall.jpg   Fireplace/Firebox Repair/Restore-left-side-wall-1.jpg   Fireplace/Firebox Repair/Restore-left-side-wall-2.jpg   Fireplace/Firebox Repair/Restore-right-side-wall-1.jpg  

Fireplace/Firebox Repair/Restore-right-side-wall-2.jpg  

ortho_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

A gas insert will be a sealed unit, the only thing there going to do is have to install a flue liner.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks - but at this point I'd rather try not to go down that route if I don't have to, and have a gas log installed instead.

I'd like to do this mainly to keep the "originality" of the fireplace, but also because when I was talking to a salesperson at a fireplace store, without even coming to my house to quote it he told me the ballpark would be ~$3000+ for the installation on top of the insert cost...whereas the log would be ~$1000
ortho_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firebox, fireplace, refractory mortar