Fireplace Facelife - Needing Hearth Advice - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fireplace facelife - needing hearth advice

I've been in a complete home remodel for the past 4 years. I have a large brick fireplace that is the focal point of the room. I temporairily painted the fireplace until I was ready to update with a stack stone look. (see photo). I've decided the stone, but now having some trouble deciding what to use for the hearth.

In a previous home, I had a slate hearth and absolutely loved it. I would like to do the same on this fireplace. The length of the hearth is 16 feet, with a dept of 19 inches. The stone that will be used is roughly 2' thick. Since the stone will vary in depth, I want the material used on the hearth to overlap just a bit since it will be too difficult to line up with a straight line of the stack stone. I've found online a few places that cary large pieces of slate for hearths, but the depth is only 20". I've also found tiles that are 24"X24" with rough edges. I wouldn't mind the edges on the front and sides to be rough, but would prefer them the butt against each other with a clean edge, and the back as well. Does anyone have any suggestions here? I know we could cut the 3 sides to make them a smooth edge, but would this be recommended? Or does anyone know of other suggestions?

I've attached a photo of the fireplace as it exists today. And a photo of the stone that will be used. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, I live in Texas.
Attached Thumbnails
Fireplace facelife - needing hearth advice-photo.jpg  
Attached Images

Advertisement

louiejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
Wolf

Rewards Points: 25

From the looks of your second picture, it appears that you are using Natural Stone Veneer materials. I used their Virginia Ledgestone for a new fireplace enclosure and have been very happy with the results. I used a much smaller hearth and mantle than you need, but my existing downstair fireplace has a mantle similar in size to yours. In both cases, I used Indiana limestone with a broken edge and polished top surface. If you use it, be sure to seal the surfaces before installation to prevent staining.

How do you intend to secure the stone to the existing brick? Good luck and have fun with your project. Post some pics when you're done.
Attached Thumbnails
Fireplace facelife - needing hearth advice-fireplace-small-2.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by ralphfravel; 11-24-2009 at 08:49 PM.
ralphfravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:25 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. And beautiful fireplace by the way.

I am using a product www.norstoneusa.com. The stone comes in 6X12 sheets, but is actually natural stone. The application is apparently fairly simple, but does does not require anything other than material to adhear to the surface on the back.

I will check out the Indiana Limestone option. We have Texas limestone here that I could use, but honestly because it is just that, it is used on most constructions around here. I'm going for something different. Additionally, This room is connected to the kitchen, which has black granite, as well as the front entrance with black granite. I was hoping to sort of tie in the hearth with that dark color. And thought a slate would work nicely.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

How about using granite tiles. I believe you can even get bull nose tiles for the front edge.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:57 AM   #5

I've thought of using granite tile as well, as that is what is in the entry. As much as I like that, I wanted a less glossy finish on the fireplace. I found this tile that I really like, except it will need to be cut down some, but I think that would be ok. http://www.eastweststone.com/popup/wall-slate3.html

Thanks for the responses.