DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Firebox: Making sure it is sealed

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  richard6655 
#1 ·
I've posted this elsewhere yesterday, but got no reply. Anyway, whatever, I'm posting it here, see what I get. :)

---
Below you see a picture of a firebox built onto the left of the chimney stack. Everything left of the vertical yellow dotted line is the firebox in question, everything right of it is more-or-less the chimney stack. The picture is looking sideways into the firebox. The wall on the left is a load-bearing wall seperating a room to the left, on the other side of the wall, and the room I've taken the picture in.

The red dotted lines show where there is an opening from the firebox into the chiney stack.

Now, the green line shows where there was a slate plate. I guess that was used as a kind of seal.

Okay, the original firebox was for an coke burning open fire. But, I just want to have a gas fire.

Anyway, I'm reducing the width of the firebox by one brick length on the right hand side as you look into the fireplace - normally - normal view - (that would be looking from left to right in this picture). This picture is facing the left hand side of the fireplace, so the right hand is towards the viewer, the left hand side away from the viewer.

The right hand side of the firebox (normal view) will, in fact, consist of a brick column right up to the ceiling beams. It willl eventually hold an I beam.

Now, what concerns me is, is there any special work required over the sealing of the firebox?

Do I need to put some kind of plate at the top of the inside of the box, like it was originally? Do I need to spread cement over the insides of the brickwork? Anyone know?

Remember -normal view - is looking left to right in this picture.

House built in 1958. Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
richard6655
If you look up code R1001.11 Fireplace clearance, It explaines the clearance needed for building a fireplace. Keep in mind, you may want to use this fireplace for gas, but the next owner may not, and if it is not up to code there may be some serious damage. If it is built for a wood fire it sould be acceptable for gas. I can't speak on that slate plate, never heard of it. You might try Hearth.com, and post your question on the Wood Stoves and Fireplaces Forum, they seem to be able to answer most questions.

#3 ·
richard6655
If you look up code R1001.11 Fireplace clearance, It explaines the clearance needed for building a fireplace. Keep in mind, you may want to use this fireplace for gas, but the next owner may not, and if it is not up to code there may be some serious damage. If it is built for a wood fire it sould be acceptable for gas. I can't speak on that slate plate, never heard of it. You might tryHearth.com, and post your question on the Wood Stoves and Fireplaces Forum, they seem to be able to answer most questions.

Thanks for replying and for the link to that dedicated fireplace forum. I feel sure I'll get my answrs there. Best. Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.