Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2014, 12:47 PM   #1

Share |

fireblocking of soffitt

I have several soffitts in my basement and don't know exactly how to fireblock these. Some are attached to a wall on one side and some are not attached to a wall and just hung from the floor joists. I am using both Roxul and 5/8 drywall strips. Since the soffit is under the floor joists that is a pretty large open area between each floor joist and was just wondering what to do.

boilermaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
AHH, SPANS!!!

fireblocking of soffitt

I can give you a general procedure but posting pics will help too. you want the fireblocking to look like wall top plates where the soffit lands on the wall. I like to keep my fireblocking about a 1/2" below soffit level to the bottom of the fireblocks and you will need to have the blocking tight back against the concrete wall as well along the soffit line height.

hand drive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #3

fireblocking of soffitt

Here are some pictures and hope this can help. I don't know how the pictures will be displayed so I will try to explain. One picture is of a finished soffitt that was not fireblocked, didn't know I should do it at the time. The soffitt is attached to an outside finished wall so where that soffitt ends is at a sheetrock wall so that end is sealed. Another picture is taken in a new bathroom, since the ductwork was hung so low I first put up the 5/8 drywall on the ceiling then built the wall up to the drywall, so the top plate of that wall has the sheetrock sandwiched between, that was the only way I could do it and keep the bottom of the soffitt at seven feet. It's awful hard to get good pictures for you because I could take twice as many and still probably not have enough information. Some of the walls are finished/painted without fireblocking and I am considering removing the walls and installing the fireblocking, lot of work and extra expense but not much of a choice and I think I can bring it back to it is not even noticeable. If you need more pictures, no problem. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
fireblocking of soffitt-p1010314.jpg   fireblocking of soffitt-p1010315.jpg   fireblocking of soffitt-p1010316.jpg   fireblocking of soffitt-p1010317.jpg   fireblocking of soffitt-p1010318.jpg  

fireblocking of soffitt-p1010319.jpg  
boilermaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote