Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
Beer Advocate

Rewards Points: 150

Fireblocking revisited?

I asked about my cities fire blocking requirements and this is exactly what they responded with.

The space that requires fireblocking is at the top where the wall meets the ceiling. Blocking will prevent the movement of air from the wall cavity to the ceiling joist cavity(s).

Since I will have 2x4 stud walls running up to the joists set in 1inch from the wall how to I satisfy this code? Expecially along the wall thats parallel with the joists?

Thanks!

Taipans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,014

Fireblocking revisited?

I'm up against the same thing. You have to insert blocking between the joists next to the wall.
My building inspector told me I could just use Great Stuff (blue) but this didn't work so well.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Beer Advocate

Fireblocking revisited?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
I'm up against the same thing. You have to insert blocking between the joists next to the wall.
My building inspector told me I could just use Great Stuff (blue) but this didn't work so well.

So what they are saying is the space between the studs and the concrete foundation cannot have an open gap to the joists above. I was trying to figure out how to seal "above" the wall in every single joist space. Since you don't want to just stick wood between the top plate portion against the wall wonder what else would suffice?
Old 02-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Fireblocking revisited?

Can you rip a 5" or so peice of fire rated drywall and screw it to the joists and then butt your top plate up to the drywall? By this i mean put a peice of drywall inbetween your joists and top plate of the stud walls, and exted the drywall to the foundation to block off the air space.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
Beer Advocate

Fireblocking revisited?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
Can you rip a 5" or so peice of fire rated drywall and screw it to the joists and then butt your top plate up to the drywall? By this i mean put a peice of drywall inbetween your joists and top plate of the stud walls, and exted the drywall to the foundation to block off the air space.
Are you asking if I can do that or if it will satisfy the code? If your saying that will work then it sounds like an easy fix.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Fireblocking revisited?

I am not 100 percent positive if it will meet code but i don't see why not since you can use 5/8" fire rated drywall on ceilings to meet fire code. You would have to ask your inspector or hopefully someone else can say for sure. You would probably also have to use fire caulk to seal the edge of the drywall that meets the foundation. Hopefully this will work for you.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
Beer Advocate

Fireblocking revisited?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
I am not 100 percent positive if it will meet code but i don't see why not since you can use 5/8" fire rated drywall on ceilings to meet fire code. You would have to ask your inspector or hopefully someone else can say for sure. You would probably also have to use fire caulk to seal the edge of the drywall that meets the foundation. Hopefully this will work for you.

Can't believe how many things pop up like this when all you want to do is make a small living area. Biggest issue though is no one knows, not even the city! So its like you take a huge risk and might have to rip everything out once your done because you "just dont know".
Old 02-25-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
Building and plumbing

Fireblocking revisited?

fire blocking is established with the top plate. This seals the air from the joists, if the walls are taller than 8 feet, then blocking must be put in at 8 foot. Also if you install a drop ceiling then fire blocking is required at the bottom of the drop ceiling in the studs (where the drop ceiling will be at)
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #9
Beer Advocate

Fireblocking revisited?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USP45 View Post
fire blocking is established with the top plate. This seals the air from the joists, if the walls are taller than 8 feet, then blocking must be put in at 8 foot. Also if you install a drop ceiling then fire blocking is required at the bottom of the drop ceiling in the studs (where the drop ceiling will be at)
Ok so the top of the framing is the top plate which means when building a normal stud wall its never something that crops up. But since mine is set away from the wall an inch what is reccomended to "seal" up that small area between the top plate and the foundation?

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #10
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Fireblocking revisited?

2 x wood stock (seal edge gaps with fire-stop caulking) - or - Use a fire-rated Mineral Wool Fibre insulation like Roxul.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:24 AM   #11
Beer Advocate

Fireblocking revisited?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
2 x wood stock (seal edge gaps with fire-stop caulking) - or - Use a fire-rated Mineral Wool Fibre insulation like Roxul.

Thanks!