Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2008, 01:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fire repair

I have a house that is a cinder block ranch with fire damage. About five of the floor joists in the basement are completely burned away in the middle of the house. There is a steel beam going across the entire house which the floor joists rest on in the middle of the house. The joists are running from the front of the house to the rear (short side, or depth of the ranch) The steel beam runs the length of the house (long side, or width of the ranch) The joists are about 24 feet long and are missing about 6-7 feet in the middle. Can I "sister" new joists onto the existing ends of the burned joists using carriage bolts? or do I need to replace the whole joist? What would meet code for this type of fire repair? Also are there any books on home fire repair? I can't seem to find any. Or other web sites that would give information on how to properly repair fire damage.

Thanks all for reading....

detroitguy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

Fire repair

There wouldn't be any benefit to sister to burned wood. The structural integrity of the those burned joists are gone plus it would look like crap. Do yourself a favor and remove the damaged lumber and replace.
Since the span sounds like it's something less than 12', I doubt that you need to put in a single 24' joist, two (one on each side of the beam) should work fine if it's what I'm picturing.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Fire repair

You definately need to replace those joists in their entirety. Sistering joists in span (essentially splicing them) is not a good practice and will not perform well.

You're better off getting all the burned wood out of the structure. If nothing else, the smell will never go away unless you do.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Fire repair

I agree ! remove the damaged wood. and install new. any beam that's still in good shape scrape it down to remove the black scale and spray paint it with silver paint. The paint helps on cutting down the fire smell. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote