Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #1

Share |

Fire Rated Plywood

How to you determine if Plywood is fire rated? I am building a new garage, was told by permit dept, that I need fire rated plywood, I am shopping on the internet, trying to determine if a product is fire rated.
Thanks
Cathy
Camp Taylor, KY

cwatts50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #2

Fire Rated Plywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatts50 View Post
How to you determine if Plywood is fire rated? I am building a new garage, was told by permit dept, that I need fire rated plywood, I am shopping on the internet, trying to determine if a product is fire rated.
Thanks
Cathy
Camp Taylor, KY
Found this:
http://www.buyleedlumber.com/product...-wood/plywood/
Your local lumber yard should be able to order this for you along with the rest of the needed materials.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

Fire Rated Plywood

I believe that all fire retardant plywood is rated by Underwriters Laboratory (UL) and bears the mark FR-S on the wood. If you don't find such a mark, it is not rated. There are a number of companies that make fire rated plywood, I think Hoover is the largest. You may not be able to get this product at the average big box store, you may need a real lumberyard.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Experienced

Fire Rated Plywood

Welcome cwatts50, to the best darn DIY'r site on the web.

Here another link, fire rated materials should bear a stamp on them which will define the fire rating specification for which the material meets.

http://fireratedlumber.com/

Mark
Old 08-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
Framing Contractor

Fire Rated Plywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatts50 View Post
Thanks
Cathy
Camp Taylor, KY
Go to a real lumberyard and find out. They will tell you exactly what you need.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #6

Fire Rated Plywood

I think you need to go back to the building/inspections dept and clarify that. I've never heard of any area REQUIRING something as odd as fire retardant plywood. Most depts that require a fire rated wall will specify it by an hour rating, not the materials used to get that rating. I can assume this garage is attached to living quarters or has living quarters above it.
TrapperL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
Experienced

Fire Rated Plywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I think you need to go back to the building/inspections dept and clarify that. I've never heard of any area REQUIRING something as odd as fire retardant plywood. Most depts that require a fire rated wall will specify it by an hour rating, not the materials used to get that rating. I can assume this garage is attached to living quarters or has living quarters above it.
I also found that a strange requirement, but in my research I found that some jurisdictions require fire rated plywood for the roof structure, I am not sure this is the case in this instance.

It is more likely the requirement is as you state between the garage and the dwelling.

Mark
Old 08-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #8

Fire Rated Plywood

its also more red in color , its seen more in my area for duplexes and townhomes
fulton 22175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #9

Fire Rated Plywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I have had it required on a few projects now regarding demising wall separations between townhouses. The alternative to placing 4'-0" of fire retardent plywood is to extend the fire wall above the roof plane. Now the OP is dealing with a garage, but the concept might still be similar in trying to protect the dwelling structure from the fire-prone and hazardouse area of the garage.

Original Poster: I would clarfiy with your building department whether they only require the rated plywood against the home, or if they require the whole roof. The inspectors will look for the stamp mentioned above when inspecting for approvals...