Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fire rated construction

I'm putting up a new garage, and I am required to have a 1 hour exposure rating on the bottom of the eaves and both sides of the walls adjacent to our property line. Now, we had planned on vinyl siding which I know has no fire rating. If we were to put 5/8" sheathing that was treated for 1 hour exposure on the exterior wall and bottom of the eaves, and then Type X gypsum on the interior of those walls, this would meet the code for fire rating, correct? And once that is installed, would I still be able to install the vinyl siding, or would I have to use a rated siding material such as hardie?

rubber314chicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Fire rated construction

I don't know if I can help, but I just looked at a new home which had these requirements because it was next to a green belt (forest). The deck were exposed aggregate and the siding was Hardie. Now If I recall the soffits were Hardie also but I can't remember how they were vented.

MJ Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,110

Fire rated construction

No one knows where you live because you left off your location in your profile.
Please go back and add it, just go to quick links to edit.
Why not ask your local building dept to get the real ansewers, there the ones that you need to be concerned with.
GBrackins (05-13-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,318

Fire rated construction

Rubber....I had to do the same for my garage....

Basically....

1. Outside wall had to be of brick, stucco or some other non-flammable material. In my case, I was using stucco.
2. Facia board on the eaves had to be 2x...1x starts burning quicker.
3. Inside wall had to be covered with 5/8" type X drywall. That way if a fire in my garage starts...it takes an hour before it spreads to the neighbors yard....

I'm in the middle of a 2-story addition...because my eaves are so long (24") and extend closer than 5' to the adjacent property line...I also had to make them 1hour....the bottoms of my eaves have 5/8" T&G....between that at the roof sheathing I have 5/8" type X drywall (yes, it was a b!tch to get that up there)...

So...if my neighbor has a fire....it's going to take awhile for the fire to affect my house....hopefully the fire dept will be there in less than an hour.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Architect

Rewards Points: 150

Fire rated construction

Fire rated assemblies can be determined by utilizing one of Underwriter Laboratories assemblies which are backed by testing.

Horizontal and vertical assemblies have very different requirements. Fired next to a wall is much different than fire under a soffit or eave.

There shouldn't be an issue installing materials like vinyl on a fire rated assembly.

Here is a good primer:

http://www.usg.com/rc/system-catalog...g-en-SA100.pdf
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote