Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #1

Share |

Fire Proofing Spray Foam

I just found out that my crawl space is considered a basement because the furnace ducting runs through it... despite being 5 ft high.

I had the basement sprayfoamed and I have to fire proof it (and not just cover it with an ignition coating).

Are my only options:

- Drywall (or similar)?

- Concrete (shotcrete)?

Drywall is not a great option, even the moisture resistant stuff, because the basement is a bit musty and there is sand.

Is it possible to DIY shotcrete at a reasonable price? Time is not an issue. I can take forever to do it.

or, is it possible to buy a fire rated spray foam and just spray on a surface layer?

Any other ideas?

billyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #2

Fire Proofing Spray Foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyh View Post
I just found out that my crawl space is considered a basement because the furnace ducting runs through it... despite being 5 ft high.

I had the basement sprayfoamed and I have to fire proof it (and not just cover it with an ignition coating).

Are my only options:

- Drywall (or similar)?

- Concrete (shotcrete)?

Drywall is not a great option, even the moisture resistant stuff, because the basement is a bit musty and there is sand.

Is it possible to DIY shotcrete at a reasonable price? Time is not an issue. I can take forever to do it.

or, is it possible to buy a fire rated spray foam and just spray on a surface layer?

Any other ideas?
Spray-applied rockwool. "FireStop TB" www.usfireproofing.com

material costs averages about .42 a sqft and is a true thermal barrier that protects the foam and not just a fire retarder like the coatings. It has been tested and approved over all manufactures open and closed cell spray foams and is considered an equivalant to drywall. It costs a 2/3 less than a coating.

stevegorman is offline   Reply With Quote