Fire Blocking? Can You Use Liquid Nails? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Fire blocking? Can you use liquid nails?

I have to fire block the work that I did in the basement. I was wondering if I could glue down 2x4 pieces in place or if they had to be nailed down due to code? It will be very hard for me to nail in place. I should have listened to the building inspector who told me to put in place the blocking first. He also told me that I could use sheetrock. Can I glue the sheet rock in place?

Advertisement

Leoskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:38 AM   #2

Anyone?

Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

If I were your building inspector, I would not approve fire stops attached by adhesive. There is no UL fire rating or any other testing agency reference on the adhesive to say that it has been tested to perform under high temperature or fire conditions. If there were to be a fire in the structure, who could say whether or not the adhesive might fail under temperature or fire conditions, thus allowing the fire stop to come out of place? Fireblocking with the proper fastening materials and techniques has been tested.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

I've spec'd sheetrock, wood, mineral wool, firestop compound, firestop mortars, intumescent pillows, etc. There are many different products out there that meet the national codes. The method I like to use in checking if a local inspector will approve it or not is to print out a product brochure, drive down to the building department, and speak to the either the inspector or the fire sub code official, and get them to fax me a yeah or nay.

I could be reading you wrong, but the situation you described sounds like a good candidate for mineral wool or firestop pillows. Be careful, though. Some areas won't approve the pillows. Like I said, best bet is to talk to the inspector.

Script:
Hi, I tried looking at it from the perspective of nailing something in there, but I can't get in there to get fasteners in place. Would you accept a fire stop pillow or mineral wool? Here's the product brochures for each one.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Expanding firestop foam may be an option too, but I have no idea where or what you need to fire block and I would be hesitant to suggest anything without knowing details.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:49 AM   #6

Thats the name I was trying to find, mineral wool! The contractor I used for my kitchen used it in the crawl space area. I think that is the best material I can use. The inspector advised me to use sheetrock before I finished framing but I forgot about it. Now it is impossible for me to nail or screw anything in place to create a fire block. Where can I find mineral wool? I checked HD and Lowes and they dont have it.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:01 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,470

all because few buy it anymore,,, call an insulation supplier or contractor.

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:30 AM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Ceramic fiber wool will do the same thing. Mineral wool is sometimes called "rotten cotton". If you have any local companies that do refractory repairs to large boilers, they may be able to help you out.

Last edited by Maintenance 6; 09-16-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

You need to talk to your inspector to see what he's ok with.

Mineral wool can serve as a fireblock in one application per IRC R602.8.1, but you may need to batt the entire wall since retaining mineral wool in place can be a major challenge. Simply putting a piece of mineral wool where the fireblock would go will not likely be sufficient. The code doesn't permit mineral wool for horizontal fireblocking...Only the vertical fireblocks isolating walls into 10' sections measured horizontally. Unfaced fiberglass is spec'd by the code in R602.8.1.1, probably because it stays in place a lot better than mineral wool. It'll need to TOTALLY FILL THE SPACE where the fireblock occurs and may be required to project below/above the line of the fireblock 16" per R602.8.1.1.

Adhesive such as liquid nails should not be allowed to secure a fireblock of any kind in place. I would not consider that as an option. Mechanical fasteners are necessary.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote