Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #1

Share |

Fire Blocking Basement

DIYer who followed a book to frame out my basement and left out fire blocking any suggestions?

1. Dow Thermax Sheathing was already on the walls so I left it there and framed next to it. What do I do for horizontal fire-block?

2. Had to frame around waste pipe not sure hot to fire block.

3. Left space for HVAC return air in framing, I cut the thermOpan and found that the return air for the existing connection goes through the floor.

4. Lowered bathroom ceiling do I have to add blocking inbetween each stud right below where the ceiling drywall will be?

Thanks for any help

buildit45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #2

Fire Blocking Basement

at this stage there are a couple things as far as fireblocking goes. you can simply put ina layer of mineralwool or roxul in the joist bay right above the top plate. You could cut up scraps of 1/2 drywall or 3/4 inch plywood. install the in everbay then use fireblock caulk and foam to fill any gaps. If the current gaps you have betwen the top plate and the thermax are less than 1 1/4 inch all you need to do is foam it. and dont forget fire block every ten feet vertically using the same method.

pardonme2711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
AHH, SPANS!!!

Fire Blocking Basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit45 View Post
DIYer who followed a book to frame out my basement and left out fire blocking any suggestions?

Thanks for any help
in the last pic you will need to cut 2x4 blocks to fill in the stud bays that act like and look like a wall top plate, the top of the block is at the bottom of the joists. The backside intersect point of the drywall in all corners with intersecting joists and studs determines where the fireblock needs to be in most cases.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote