DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Fire Block This

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  HooKooDooKu 
#1 ·
Looking for suggestions on how to seal and insulate off the garage air space from the rest of a basement. The primary problem is this the floor joist space on wall between the garage and future den. You can see from the enclosed pictures this space has a few challenges:

1. The floor joist spacing is different on the Den side from the garage side.
2. The floor joist overhang the double top plate on both the Den and garage side.
3. Wires and plumbing go through this space.

Suggestions?

Both images are from the den side looking up towards the floor joist space.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I’m a little surprised that got past the Inspector. “Solid 2X nominal blocking is required at ends of joists and over all bearing points. Blocking may be omitted where ends of joists are nailed to a header or rim joist.” From: http://www.mcvicker.com/resguide/page008.htm
That has been code since ’73, when I started framing. It is for lateral displacement or over-turning.

Be safe, Gary

#4 ·
I’m a little surprised that got past the Inspector.
Over the years I've found many things that made me wonder how it got past the inspector. The wall shown for one. Other inside walls in this same room have the studs doubled up. This wall originally had single studs on 18oc, yet this load bearing wall has a greater load than the walls where the studs were doubled. The "new" looking wood is where I doubled up the studs and framed a return air vent. The horizonal 2x4 was a part of getting the floor above to be less bouncy (2x8 12oc with 14'6" span).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.