Finishing A Wall Around A Vented Fireplace???? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Finishing a wall around a vented fireplace????

I'm a newb so please feel free to laugh at me if this is a stupid question. I'm finishing my basement and there is a preexisting propane, vented, free standing fireplace down there. What I mean by free standing is that it is a potbelly stove design and meant to not be framed into the wall. But the vent pipe that runs through the wall gets very hot when the fireplace runs and I'm not sure how to go about framing, insulating, dry walling around the pipe. I'm finishing the basement with 2 inch foam board against the poured concrete, 2x4 wood studs against the foam board, fiberglass batt in between studs and 1/2 drywall. Any assistance on how to frame this out without burning my house down is appreciated. Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by mustninty; 12-02-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: add text
mustninty is offline   Reply With Quote