Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #1

Share |

Finishing stairwell to basement - precautions for fire?

My basement stairwell was built in 2001, it was never finished.
I have been working on getting the ceiling all framed in. I am planning on drywall.
There is an existing black sheet of plastic - says asbestos on it.

Is there something typical for fire in the stairwell.
Is it typical to insulate prior to sheetrock?
My basement is not cooled/heated - I would prefer to keep it that way.

theedudenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:18 AM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Your area may be different, but in general, nothing needed for fire.
And yes on the insulation.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
Retired carpenter

Your picture shows a stairwell with a set of stairs going to a second floor and another one going to the basement. You want to replace that black plastic underneath the stairs going to the second floor with drywall.
abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Too Old

I would suggest 5/8" drywall and make sure you have a ll the vertical to horzontal spaces sealed off. One spot is in the picture with the plasic pulled back you need to fireblock the area above the header that leads to under the upstairs stairway. What about below the stairs, are you blocked at the stringers going oup the wall?
Old 12-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #5

I am planning on having drywall the entire stairwell.

What is fireblocking? Is that the drywall?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #6

I believe that black plastic is just the type they use around an area when the do asbestos removal. I would be extremely surprised if there is any asbestos in a home that was built in 2001.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Quote:
R302.7 Under-stair protection. Enclosed accessible space under stairs shall have walls, under-stair surface and any soffits protected on the enclosed side with 1⁄2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board.
From the IRC 2009.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
I believe that black plastic is just the type they use around an area when the do asbestos removal. I would be extremely surprised if there is any asbestos in a home that was built in 2001.
Oh, you would never know after the boy genius that posted pictures of a 80 year old home that had it, but stated that the home was only built back in 2003.

But as for the OP, Plastic burns, Wood burns, Paper burns, carpeting also burns. Get the gist? If you plan on using the downstairs, there needs to be at least one egress, maybe another besides the stairs. Especially if there was a fire upstairs, you do not want people going up to exit, you want them going out from downstairs and out of the structure.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
From the IRC 2009.

Andy.
Andy, is it me, or does the 1/2" that has been manufactured and being sold as of 4th qtr 2011, look a lot like 3/8". Went to the local Menard's, and the 3/8" was advert as 1/2", and the 1/2" was advert as 5/8". Last time I checked, measurements do not change, unless you are using that Verizon new math.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Oh, you would never know after the boy genius that posted pictures of a 80 year old home that had it, but stated that the home was only built back in 2003.

But as for the OP, Plastic burns, Wood burns, Paper burns, carpeting also burns. Get the gist? If you plan on using the downstairs, there needs to be at least one egress, maybe another besides the stairs. Especially if there was a fire upstairs, you do not want people going up to exit, you want them going out from downstairs and out of the structure.
I gave up trying to provide him any information after last night! He's got a very long way to go before he can even begin to discuss issues to say nothing about doing things!
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

I was having fun, until he started the new one last night, then it just irritated the hell out of me at that point, but glad it finally stopped. As for the OP, I would not try to over think this, and just K.I.S.S.. All you are going to do is cause yourself headaches if you over do this, or over think this.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:22 AM   #12

So the thought on the black plastic is it just does not belong?

I am planning on full fiberglass insulation then 1/2 drywall.
Tape and mud then paint
Old 12-28-2011, 07:17 AM   #13
Retired from the grind

No, never should have been there in the first place.