Finishing A Room In The Basement - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

finishing a room in the basement

Hello, I've been googling about this and can't find an answer, so I came here.

In our basement, we have an area that we want to turn into a finished room off of the already finished rec room.

There is a small problem with this... there is a drain in this area that unavoidable and a type of basement drain that I've never seen before so bare with me as I try to explain it.

Ok, our basement is level (or pretty close anyways) the basement is newer than the house (it was moved onto the foundation in the 90s I guess). Where the drain is located is where that changes. The drain sits like maybe 3-4 inches lower than the rest of the floor and its got a pretty evil slope starting roughly 6 inches from the edge of the drain. So all in all the "hole" is about 1-1 1/2' wide.

I guess you could think of a funnel with a drain cap at the small end, although obviously its not that drastic of a slope. So yea, what do you think is the best way to go about this?

I don't want to cement over it, so my original idea was to build a subfloor by laying pressure treated 2x4s 16" apart then using tapcon screws to hold them in place, then on the outer 2x4 (the one that the wall is built on, cut grooves/channels in a few spots around where the drain is to allow water to go under IF we ever have any problems. Definetly open for suggestions on this since I'm still in the planning stages. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Last edited by oh'mike; 12-14-2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Added spaces for easier reading
infamshxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

Post a picture--something doesn't add up.

Floor drains are typically 3" with a P-trap.

If the drain is functioning--why not open the floor around the drain--add more height to the pipe--and then level off the existing floor?

Advertisement

ben's plumbing (12-14-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Post a picture--something doesn't add up.

Floor drains are typically 3" with a P-trap.

If the drain is functioning--why not open the floor around the drain--add more height to the pipe--and then level off the existing floor?

hope that picture helps. hard to see depth shooting straight on. the slope is bigger than i first described, but at the time i was at work and going by memory lol

Last edited by infamshxr; 12-14-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
DIY staff

Yikes---could you resize the picture a bit?

I'd raise the drain to where it belongs.

Then patch the floor.

Subfloors over a concrete basement floor are a mold and moisture problem.

Musty smells--best and simplest and cheapest to raise the drain
ben's plumbing (12-14-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Yikes---could you resize the picture a bit?

I'd raise the drain to where it belongs.

Then patch the floor.

Subfloors over a concrete basement floor are a mold and moisture problem.

Musty smells--best and simplest and cheapest to raise the drain
That does sound easier than a subfloor but I have no idea what I'm doing with that. Never done much of anything with cement and I know very little about plumping. Any insight on this?
Old 12-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,588

if you are unsure as to what to do ..maybe get a handyman to get you a price on it....not that big of a deal.......scale 1.....3-4................10
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
if you are unsure as to what to do ..maybe get a handyman to get you a price on it....not that big of a deal.......scale 1.....3-4................10
Im pretty handy myself. Would rather do it myself than pay someone if it isn't that hard to do. Just need some instructions or literature to read on how to do it. Thats what I did to drywall my first ceiling a month or two ago. May not be perfect, but, for my first time doing it, it looks pretty good. As long as it doesn't fall apart, Im ok. Same for this. As long as it is sturdy and doesn't fall apart, doesn't really matter what it looks like, as long as it works. lol Considering there will be carpeting over it eventually.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

There looks to be a circle, about 3 feet or so around this drain with different colored concrete. Someone could have dropped a drywell in there at some point.
Have you ever had and water issues in that room?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
There looks to be a circle, about 3 feet or so around this drain with different colored concrete. Someone could have dropped a drywell in there at some point.
Have you ever had and water issues in that room?
Looks different in real life. In real life, it looks as though they poured the cement, then scraped out the slope going to the drain. No water problems in the basement though. No dehumidifier down here and its nice and dry. Same as upstairs. House is built up higher than the neighboring houses and the foundation is newer. I think the type of ground around here has something to do with it too. Our old duplex we lived in before here is about 1/2 mile or less away and it was the same there. Nice dry basement and no dehumidifier. My parents, on the other hand, live closer to the bay and river (in Green Bay here) and they NEED a dehumidifier, otherwise it gets musty.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
DIY staff

First thing to help us---re measure the pipe size---and try to determine if it has a P-trap--

Pour water into it and see if it drains into the sump pit (if you have one---)
Old 12-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

You might consider a Dricore subfloor system!

http://www.dricore.com/en/eIndex.aspx

Pressure treated wood bridging could be placed across the drain depression.
If you ever have cause to access the drain, the Dricore tiles could be lifted for access.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
You might consider a Dricore subfloor system!

http://www.dricore.com/en/eIndex.aspx

Pressure treated wood bridging could be placed across the drain depression.
If you ever have cause to access the drain, the Dricore tiles could be lifted for access.
I was just advised against it. as far as the drain, it's a standard size drain. 3 inches wide? I'm not totally sure what a p trap is but when I look inside I just see water standing about 4 inches down.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamshxr View Post
I was just advised against it. as far as the drain, it's a standard size drain. 3 inches wide? I'm not totally sure what a p trap is but when I look inside I just see water standing about 4 inches down.
And so you should! Thats water in the trap! If it evaporates sewer gas can come into the house.

The problem with Dricore is.......................(what)
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamshxr View Post
I would expect a 2" pipe under the drain cap.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I would expect a 2" pipe under the drain cap.
Ok, then 2". Lol i'm not home so i'm guessing. I
The drain is about the size of a shower stall drain. As far as dricore, it probably works good, but i'm sure is much more expensive than just leveling it off. Also, I think someone asked, there is a dump pump on the other side of the basement

Advertisement