Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2007, 06:53 PM   #1

Share |

finishing my basement Questions

Hello, I have been thinking of finishing my basement and would like some advice on sealing for moisture. The basement is a block foundation with concrete floors, it stays pretty dry except around an outside entrance door, but would like to seal all of the block to ensure no future problems. Thanks for your help.

handyman1355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:47 PM   #2
Kyle Emerick

Try this stuff: UGL - DrylokŪ Latex Masonry Waterproofer

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...515&lpage=none

I have seen it at Lowes and Home Depot for well over a decade... it must work well... you would assume.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:28 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman1355 View Post
Hello, I have been thinking of finishing my basement and would like some advice on sealing for moisture. The basement is a block foundation with concrete floors, it stays pretty dry except around an outside entrance door, but would like to seal all of the block to ensure no future problems. Thanks for your help.
Please bear in mind that the first course of action with solving moisture/water/dampness in regards to basements is: Keeping the water away from the foundation or the areas where you are seeing moisture, or moisture seepage. Make sure that water run-off (drainage) is properly taken care of first around your outside entrance door. Example: Grade should be sloped away from the area. Downspouts should not be draining into or near that entrance area. There should be minimal shrubbery to allow the outside location to dryout properly after rain, etc.

Bear in mind that waterproofing compounds (like Drylok) work against most basic concrete moisture, but not against hydrostatic pressure (pressurized drain water seeking a way to get into the foundation). This may...or may not....be your situation, but it is something to consider.

link example: http://www.misterfixit.com/wetbase.htm
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:04 AM   #4

Maybe testing in areas of the slab would be a good idea? take a 2x2 sheet of poly and tape it down to the slab for about 48 hours.(make sure it is sealed to the floor) If you get moisture then you might have to seal the floor. If not then might already have a moisture barrier underneath, then the only thing you need to worry about is the outside entrance.
jscholl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:03 PM   #5
Remodeler

Atlantic says it well stop the water from coming in at the source. DryLok is a temporary fix at best.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote