Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Finishing my Basement

Hello,

Since this is my first post let me first say a big hello from Ontario, Canada.

I've just started work on finishing my basement and I have a plan on how I'm going to do it. Being that I'm not a professional I want to make sure I'm doing everything right as I want to avoid costly repairs to my house so I have a question before I get to carried away.

The insulation (polytarp wrap R8) in my basement only goes half way down the basement walls now and I realize that this is going to have to be replaced with a min of a R12. I want to remove it now so I can put my framing in but the problem is it's very cold where I live right now and I'm not to sure how much removing it will effect the rest of my house. It's probably going to be a few weeks before I get all the framing done, electrical roughed in, and the insulation in. Will a few weeks of the insulation removed from the basement cause any harm to the rest of my house? Moisture damage? Damaged caused by sub-zero temperature?

Scott

sensor330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Finishing my Basement

No, just may run up your heat bill. But you stated it only goes half way down on the wall, meaning the other half is bare? If so, youre not gaining much R value anyways. Take it out. Stud, run electric, plumbing, insulate, drywall.

klaus135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Finishing my Basement

For years when running heat loss summaries concrete walls below grade were not considered, as the actual loss was so insignificant.

So go ahead a take that stuff down, I doubt you see much of a difference, that is if the majority of your basement is below grade.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,024

Finishing my Basement

Nowadays, many cities' building codes require insulating the concrete foundation wall all the way down to the floor. When installing new insulation, leave out (or cut holes in) the vapor barrier just under the drywall or paneling unless you are sure that the outside of the foundation does not have a waterproofing coating.

More on finishing up a basement: http://www.co%43kam.com/theater.htm

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-21-2010 at 06:46 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Finishing my Basement

http://www.quadlock.com/technical_li...Insulation.pdf

Gary
Old 12-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

Finishing my Basement

I would also recommend using an extruded foam of some type. Thermax usually works best. Put that on the walls (sizing depending on Rvalue required) and then build walls outside of that. Then you will probably only have one day with exposed walls to the cold. The quadlock sounds nice, but you will lose quite a bit of room being it is 4 1/2" thick. I only have knowledge of it through GBR's link though. Never seen it before.

MJW is offline   Reply With Quote