Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Share |
Default

Finishing lower room of raised ranch


This is my first post on this site. I've bought a brand new raised ranch in July with an unfinished 25'x30' room that I wish to turn into a pool room. A 9' table requires a 15'x20' open space, which can be satisfied. I have little construction history, but I am very handy, and I don't doubt that I can do all of the work myself. I just need your help in discussing pitfalls and advice that come from the experience that I don't have.

I've started by taking a panaromic picture of the room and using Microsoft paint to create an artists conception.

PICTURES HERE:
www.abiscus.com/house/recroom

The room is unobstructed (LVL beam) with one wall grade level, two walls 4' high concrete, and one sharing with the garage and stair well. The water table is low enough not to be a problem, and the room remains dry except for a small amount getting through a settling crack (maybe half a cup during a very heavy rain). I will need to seal the crack, maybe from both sides. I first thought about using Dricore to make a floating subfloor, but found a product called SuperSeal that I like better for the price (no plywood needed, high compression strength). Plus if flooding does happen, no plywood to rip up and throw away: just remove the carpet, and possibly dry it out and save it.

I know I have to use pressure treated wood for the baseplates, and since I'll be making the structures for the buildouts and wainscoting myself I'll build it stick by stick and toe-nail the boards (instead of building on the floor and having to shim). I know I need to add foam against the concrete, and fill all holes with foam insulation before adding pink stuff. I'll do all the wiring myself, and add a black tiled drop ceiling.

So that's the plan. I don't know what I don't know Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Finishing lower room of raised ranch-1.jpg   Finishing lower room of raised ranch-6.jpg  

nrhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
"You can do anything"-Mom
 
brockmiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 724
Default

Finishing lower room of raised ranch


Make sure you leave proper access for your water main shutoff.

brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
"You can do anything"-Mom
 
brockmiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 724
Default

Finishing lower room of raised ranch


Also, putting down where you are located will help others on here figure out what is code for your area.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Default

Finishing lower room of raised ranch


Quote:
Originally Posted by brockmiera View Post
Also, putting down where you are located will help others on here figure out what is code for your area.
I live in East Taunton, Massachusetts.
nrhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Default

Finishing lower room of raised ranch


Quote:
Originally Posted by brockmiera View Post
Make sure you leave proper access for your water main shutoff.
OK. Maybe I'll leave it exposed, and paint the pipes the same color as the wall. Or hire a plumber to move the pipes behind the stairwell. I don't think Mass. allows one to do their own un-licensed plumbing.
nrhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
"You can do anything"-Mom
 
brockmiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 724
Default

Finishing lower room of raised ranch


I checked out that Superseal website. Seems like a decent product. I think in my basement I'm going to use the Delta-FL product because its 5/16" tall instead of only 1/8" tall like that Superseal. This will allow more room in case of a flood.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Default

Finishing lower room of raised ranch


QUESTION 1: The rightmost buildout on the back wall covers the main propane supply line. I want to put a sconce on the build-out, meaning electrical lines near the pipe. What is the reg. on this? I am thinking it isn't a big deal, because for example, you need to run an outlet to a gas stove for the electronics.
nrhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Default

Finishing lower room of raised ranch


Quote:
Originally Posted by brockmiera View Post
I checked out that Superseal website. Seems like a decent product. I think in my basement I'm going to use the Delta-FL product because its 5/16" tall instead of only 1/8" tall like that Superseal. This will allow more room in case of a flood.
Yes. I've asked for a 1 sqft sample and it is in the mail. From what I've read they are competitive products and either one is a good choice.

Dricore = $1.70/sqft, SuperSeal = $0.55/sqft, a good savings. Probably similar for Delta-FL.
nrhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
"You can do anything"-Mom
 
brockmiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 724
Default

Finishing lower room of raised ranch


Quote:
Originally Posted by nrhoades View Post
QUESTION 1: The rightmost buildout on the back wall covers the main propane supply line. I want to put a sconce on the build-out, meaning electrical lines near the pipe. What is the reg. on this? I am thinking it isn't a big deal, because for example, you need to run an outlet to a gas stove for the electronics.
What material is the gas line?

I can't imagine it would be an issue to run it close. Depending on the material there may be a distance requirement. I'm sure you can find that in your building code book though. MA 8th Edition is what I believe you are on.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
"You can do anything"-Mom
 
brockmiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 724
Default

Finishing lower room of raised ranch


Quote:
Originally Posted by nrhoades View Post
Yes. I've asked for a 1 sqft sample and it is in the mail. From what I've read they are competitive products and either one is a good choice.

Dricore = $1.70/sqft, SuperSeal = $0.55/sqft, a good savings. Probably similar for Delta-FL.
http://www.spycor.com/Cosella_Dorken...loor_s/109.htm

Check out this website.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Default

Finishing lower room of raised ranch


Quote:
Originally Posted by brockmiera View Post
What material is the gas line?

I can't imagine it would be an issue to run it close. Depending on the material there may be a distance requirement. I'm sure you can find that in your building code book though. MA 8th Edition is what I believe you are on.
Steel pipe.

It would be nice to have the code book, but don't I need to buy one for $100?
nrhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Default

Finishing lower room of raised ranch


Quote:
Originally Posted by brockmiera View Post
Thanks. Another great option.
nrhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
"You can do anything"-Mom
 
brockmiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 724
Default

Finishing lower room of raised ranch


Quote:
Originally Posted by nrhoades View Post

Steel pipe.

It would be nice to have the code book, but don't I need to buy one for $100?
I think your code is based in the 2009 IBC / IRC with MA amendments. You can find ibc code online free and ma amendments as well.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Default

Finishing lower room of raised ranch


Quote:
Originally Posted by brockmiera View Post
I think your code is based in the 2009 IBC / IRC with MA amendments. You can find ibc code online free and ma amendments as well.
Thanks!

nrhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Assessing value of layout changes mbianco General DIY Discussions 6 07-21-2012 11:48 PM
Vapor Barrier on elevated 4 season room Indyc0lt Insulation 3 09-15-2011 01:41 PM
Well Room (Cold Room) Issue--Advice Needed TomPgh Building & Construction 11 01-03-2011 06:31 PM
Finishing Upstairs Bonus Room luner99 Plumbing 5 02-26-2007 03:34 PM
Plumbing questions - finishing upstairs bonus room luner99 Building & Construction 1 02-07-2007 07:12 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.