Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #1

Share |

Finishing a corner

Hey everyone
I'm new to this site and I have been looking around on the web for some answers and I came across this site. I'm in the process of closing in my breezeway. I have gotten to a point that I don't know what would look the best and be easy to do. I'm trying to finish out 4 corners but I don't want to see any gaps check out the pics. Something I didn't mention I going the use cement siding boards to match the house.

Thanks

SLONG1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
DIY staff

Finishing a corner

Is this the inside of the room?

I suggest coping in a 1x4 --then side to that--I would use an angle grinder with 36 grit paper(two disks, back to back) to cut the copes.

I also suggest you add one more stud to the corner---on the flat--so insulation can be tucked behind it----
this will give you a nailing surface for the siding----

Old 02-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #3

Finishing a corner

That siding should have came off in that area so the wall would have been flat againt the sheathing on the house, and 1 X 4's added as inside corners.
Also pressure treat wood should never had been used as wall studs, now your stuck with having to use all ACQ approved fastners for anything that gets attached to it.

Make sure you shoot some expanding foam in those gaps before doing as Mike suggested.
Then I get stuck having to fix a DIY built porch like that I make a template out of a piece of 1/4 X 6" plywood and transfure it to 1 X 4' X 5/4 vinyl lumber.

Last edited by joecaption; 02-18-2013 at 08:14 AM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
DIY staff

Finishing a corner

Good catch----Joe, I did not notice the green treated wood---

I was also wondering how the exterior would be flashed in, water tight with the siding in place----
woodworkbykirk (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #5

Finishing a corner

There is no great way to do it once that wall went up, going to be countng on caulking, with the siding off that corner could have been flashed and house wraped.
I guess one way would be to mark it and cut away some of the siding with a 4-1/2" right angle with a diamond blade and an ossilating saw with a diamond blade to get the top part so the trim will sip in againt the sheathing.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #6

Finishing a corner

Hey guys thanks for all the replies.The room is going to be a sunroom-sitting room.As for using treated it was given to me (FREE) On the out side I only had one corner to deal with and I cut each siding board to match.I know the siding should have been remove but I thought I could get around that. I'm not sure if I under stand about what the first guy said.What fasteners are you talking about for treated lumber.
Thanks

This is the corner where I cut the siding to match the other side a lot of work.
SLONG1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #7

Finishing a corner

There are a few types of treated lumber, ACQ is the most common in my area. The chemical corrodes regular steel fastners and even zinc plated fastners. You need what is commonly referred to as double dipped galvanized, the actual disignation is G185, or better, what I use stainless steel nails. The corrosion occurs relatively quckly too, within a couple of years. So you want to re-fasten anything you already constructed. There are other fastners available also, e.g. ceramic coated screws, just make sure they are rated for use with the treated lumber.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheCamper For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
DIY staff

Finishing a corner

I didn't realize you were butting into brick----that's looking very good---

Listen to the Camper----the new treated is rough on fasteners----