Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2009, 04:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Finishing a basement wall

I am starting to finish the basement in my home and we are thinking of putting up knotty pine on several walls for the full wall height.

The question I have is do I need to sheetrock behind these walls prior to putting up the pine, or can I just put up the pine directly on the studs?

One wall separates the propsed living room from utility room
Another is all 4 walls on a bedroom (2 exterior, on between room/living room one between room/bathroom.

My father in law seems to think we can put the wood directly on the studs, my father thinks other wise.

the joys of both families trying to help out and have opinions.

Thanks

(PS the home is in Buffalo, MN)

tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'm assuming we're talking about pine boards?

Or paneling/beadboard? If it is paneling you really should put some sheetrock up as a substrate to glue the paneling to.

If it is just boards laid horizontally you could probably get away without a substrate.

The code only requires sheetrock on the underside of the stairs and the stairs' supporting walls if the stairs if there is concealed accessible space underneath them.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Yeah, its pine boards.
We are leaning towards horizontally placing them, but haven't ruled out verticle with nailers behind them. (Horizontal seems significantly easier)

Several walls are going to be all sheetrock anyways, there are only going to be 7 walls in the entire basement that will get pine boards.

While we are at it, we are also putting in a gas fireplace, does the same hold for that? Do i need to sheetrock, then put pine, or can we just put up the Pine boards?

I know there are more specifics in the fireplace installation and that we will need to follow those directions, but for the rest of it, do we need to sheetrock that at all?
tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

"One wall separates the proposed living room from utility room" ---- You may want to check with your local Building Department, here. There may be codes they enforce as : combustible distance to a flue pipe (B-vent), to a furnace or oil burner, air supply to gas appliances (dryer, furnace, water heater,etc. (required in a tight house), self-closing-weather-stripped fire door, fire-stopping voids-ceilings-chases, etc., egress for a basement, egress for bedroom-fire escape. All good things to keep your family safe. Kc has a very good safety how-to guide here:
How to fireblock framing
Basement insulation is another subject that has been well covered on this site.

Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote