Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Unhappy

Finishing basement question

I'm looking for advice or should I say assurance. I'm finishing my basement using 1" x 2" Furrring strips cause of cost. I'm getting advise from the contractor that is hanging the drywall. He says to use flute nails to attach the furring strips to mortar joints of the cement block. I was using a pilot masonary bit to help in the process and still found myself slightly cracking the mortar or breaking the heads off the nails. I wasn't drilling the length of the nail cause I thought the nail wouldn't be 100% secure. Are the nails a safe bet or should I use tapcon screws instead? I wanna make sure its done right and make sure im not going to have any accidents or damage.

I got half the basement done already and I'm starting to doubt myself. Are these nails going to hold? I used Liquid nail as well. Any advise would be great.

blaze01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze01 View Post
I'm looking for advice or should I say assurance. I'm finishing my basement using 1" x 2" Furrring strips cause of cost. I'm getting advise from the contractor that is hanging the drywall. He says to use flute nails to attach the furring strips to mortar joints of the cement block.
Quote:
I was using a pilot masonary bit to help in the process
and still found myself slightly cracking the mortar or breaking the heads off the nails. I wasn't drilling the length of the nail cause I thought the nail wouldn't be 100% secure. Are the nails a safe bet or should I use tapcon screws instead? I wanna make sure its done right and make sure im not going to have any accidents or damage.

I got half the basement done already and I'm starting to doubt myself. Are these nails going to hold? I used Liquid nail as well. Any advise would be great.
Tapcon's are a better application. Considering you are already drilling a hole, why not drill it into the dense part of the block instead of the mortar and screw in a tapcon. Hand drives into mortar are a bit questionable, unless you are time warping back to the 1970's.

Kevin

Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #3

Does it matter if I screw into the block or the mortar joint.? I assume screws hold better than nails or is the liquid nail doing most the work? I was told to nail into the mortar joints. Supposedly the joint is stronger. Although that depends on how well the mortar was laid. I'm just not sure about hammering nails into my concrete wall. It scares me a little.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze01 View Post
Does it matter if I screw into the block or the mortar joint.? I assume screws hold better than nails or is the liquid nail doing most the work? I was told to nail into the mortar joints. Supposedly the joint is stronger. Although that depends on how well the mortar was laid. I'm just not sure about hammering nails into my concrete wall. It scares me a little.
The mortar joint is weaker, that's why you nail into it. Tapcons are applied to the dense part of the block. I would not hammer a nail into the block. The liquid nails most likely will hold fairly well. The Tapcon holds the best and does not require adhesive.

KM
Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #5

Blaze,
Definitely on the tapcons. Make sure you drill your holes just a bit deeper than what the screw will penetrate. Also, are you putting any kind of insulation between the furring? I would also recommend using the mold resistant drywall.
Mike Hawkins
also near cleveland
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #6

I plan on using Rigid foam between the furring strips. I'm hearing more about the Vapor barrior so I'm thinking off covering the wall with House wrap. The contractor that I'm using is also useing mold resistant drywall.

Tags
basement finishing, furring strips