Finishing Basement - Any Lessons Learned Before I Start? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2006, 09:56 PM   #1
I can do it......I think!

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to MovedTooMuch

Finishing basement - Any lessons learned before I start?

I am getting ready to start finishing a room in my basement. Any words of wisdom or lessons learned?

The house is roughly 45 years old.

I am planning on putting up framing and drywall.

I do need to build a closet around an electric water heater and a gas furnace. I
was planning on double doors for a large opening.

I did get a larger (8 gallon) air compressor and a nail gun capable of 3.25" nails. I also bought a table saw for the 2x4's.

I am going to keep it 1/2" off the concrete block wall. I am going to insulate the walls.

I'll also need to re-wire the area with new wire and add the ground wire.

Advertisement

MovedTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedTooMuch
I am getting ready to start finishing a room in my basement. Any words of wisdom or lessons learned?

The house is roughly 45 years old.

I am planning on putting up framing and drywall.

I do need to build a closet around an electric water heater and a gas furnace. I
was planning on double doors for a large opening.

I did get a larger (8 gallon) air compressor and a nail gun capable of 3.25" nails. I also bought a table saw for the 2x4's.

I am going to keep it 1/2" off the concrete block wall. I am going to insulate the walls.

I'll also need to re-wire the area with new wire and add the ground wire.
Before you get started. Is the basement dry? if not you may look into water proofing first! it seem like you plan is pretty good

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2006, 08:17 AM   #3

I just had the basement wall retro-fitted by a contractor. They excavated the front wall and added the proper drainage (gravel, footer drains, sealed the front wall, rebar and concrete in the blocks, etc.). I also painted a gallon of Dry-Lock on the inside seams.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #4

Progress Report - 4/8/07

I have the framing up. I drilled the holes yesterday and ran the wiring today. The wiring currently extends 7-10" out of the boxes. I have not connected the 120v wiring.

Question: should I wait until the drywall is up before fiinshing the wiring (power, coax, and DSL/phone) or connect everything and make sure it works before closing up the wall?

I do plan on adding insulation and another vapor barrier before drywall.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedTooMuch View Post
Progress Report - 4/8/07

I have the framing up. I drilled the holes yesterday and ran the wiring today. The wiring currently extends 7-10" out of the boxes. I have not connected the 120v wiring.

Question: should I wait until the drywall is up before fiinshing the wiring (power, coax, and DSL/phone) or connect everything and make sure it works before closing up the wall?

I do plan on adding insulation and another vapor barrier before drywall.

Normally in new construction dry wall is done before the final electric hook-up but however in a DYI situation it may be wise to make sure everything works and you have all that you want. A lot easier to repair or install more before dry wall!
Old 05-13-2007, 10:01 PM   #6

The electric and coax tested fine. I then added the insulation and stapled the vapor barrier to the studs. I also planed the studs and sanded them smooth so the drywall will be smooth.

I also picked up the mold and mildew resistant drywall from Home Depot and used their rental truck to bring it home. I did get 5/8 Fire rated for the closet around the HVAC (although the 60" louver doors won't stop much) and the 1/2" mold and mildew resistant board for the basement walls. Now on to the drywall part which is what I've been worried about.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:43 AM   #7

I have always liked screws better then nails to put up the drywall. Make sure you get the fasteners just below level so they don't interfere with your taping. But DON'T tear threw the paper when screwing them in as those would not have any hold.

Advertisement