Finishing Basement - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2004, 06:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Finishing Basement

Near the end of building my first home, and have decided to put a bedroom, washroom, and half bath in my full basement.I need ideas with what to do with the cold concrete floor, and heating options. As for the half bath, I've been told I would need a pump system because my septic outlet is about four feet from the floor. I have a forced hot water furnace (oil) and was told to put an old cast iron radiator onto the return line. Now the floor, I've been given a couple of options. One, Put laminate down with throw rugs. Or strapping then plywood. Or Two by fours, pressure treated then plywood. But I'm conserned with water. I don't want to spend money on something that I'll have to rip out. I have a sump pump hole in one corner with a slightly slopped floor.
CAN ANYONE HELP :confused:

Advertisement

Last edited by NewbeeHomeowner; 01-09-2004 at 10:06 PM.
NewbeeHomeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 01:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Finishing Basement

Vinyl will go with the slope most likely, but it will not be warm, so you will need some area rugs to warm it up.
Laminate would be great if you can get it all level, but you will still need area rugs.
Same with wood. You can find floating wood floor, but area rugs still needed.
Vinyl is the most affordable.

Advertisement

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:49 PM   #3

Finishing Basement

Thanx Florcraft,
How about the concrete walls. I have insolation filling the sill plate between my floor truss' and have insolated the walls four feet down from the sill. Whats my easiest way to finish it from here.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:14 PM   #4

Finishing Basement

What's a sill plate?

I am lost know.

hopefully someone will sound off on this one.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:02 AM   #5

Talking

Finishing Basement

Presure treated 2x12 sits on foundation walls under the floor truss
Old 01-26-2004, 07:25 PM   #6

Finishing Basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florcraft
What's a sill plate?

I am lost know.

hopefully someone will sound off on this one.

Concrete walls you know the foundation, Well on top of the concrete is a wooden sill. On top of that is the floor truss'. In alot of your older homes you sometimes find this rotted and in need of replasement. At my house we used pressure treated wood. Now between each floor truss, which is 2' on center, above the sill and under the floor is insulated. Then we fastened 2x4 around the basement 4' down from sill. Tacked plastic from the sill to the 2x4, for vapor barrier with plastic fased insulation on top of that, fastened again at the sill and with strapping at the 2x4 border.
Now that you know where I'm at with this project, Whats my best way to finish the walls from here?
Do I need to insulate to the floor?
Old 01-26-2004, 09:13 PM   #7

Question

Finishing Basement

Zoiks scoobs!

Hopefuly someone here knows what you need :confused:

good luck...
Old 01-27-2004, 02:57 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Finishing Basement

I don't understand why you went with a 2x4 4' down from the sill? Why not just frame the walls out from bottom of floor joist to slab? Then apply faced insulation between the studs. Make sure facing is to warm side. The vapor barrier is unneeded if you are using faced insulation... in fact it will probably do more harm than good. If anything you will want the vapor barrier over top of the faced insulation.. not under.
hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 06:22 AM   #9

Finishing Basement

What I have is a program home. 6 families get together and build 6 houses. I can do what I want after all the homes are built, but right now I have guidlines. I am just looking for advice for when the program is over and I start building what I want.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:37 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Finishing Basement

OIC. I would frame the walls where the studs are 1" off the concrete and extend from the slab to the bottom of floor. Unfaced batt insulation with a vapor barrier on warm side of wall (interior) or faced batt insulation with no vapor barrier.
hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 09:38 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Finishing Basement

Hey to any of you contractors that finish basements on a regular basis, I found this link the other day... http://owenscorning.com/around/insul.../franchise.asp

Advertisement

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote