Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 83

finishing a basement

Ok, I am trying to plan out some projects for next years, and have some questions about finishing a basement.

Currrently, my basement is partially finished (drywall on 3 walls and ceiling, but no finish work at all, no outlets/floor/window trim) Because of it's current state, I think most of it will be coming down and I'll be starting over.

So my question s are as follows:

Do I need to get pressure treated/metal 2x4's for making basement walls?

How should I attach the studs to the concrete foundation walls?

Do I need to do anything special to attach the floor plate to the concrete?

There is a floor drain, and I'd like to use carpet, so do I have to do anything special, such as leaving it uncovered?

Should I drywall the ceiling again, or use a drop ceiling?

Thanks for any help.

jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

finishing a basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyfloyd View Post
Ok, I am trying to plan out some projects for next years, and have some questions about finishing a basement.

Currrently, my basement is partially finished (drywall on 3 walls and ceiling, but no finish work at all, no outlets/floor/window trim) Because of it's current state, I think most of it will be coming down and I'll be starting over.

So my question s are as follows:
Quote:
Do I need to get pressure treated/metal 2x4's for making basement walls?
Studs? Nothing special required for wall studs...standard wood will work if you want...metal too.

Quote:
How should I attach the studs to the concrete foundation walls?
That depends on what you want to do and what the walls are made of. I've seen many walls attached to the floor joist at the top, and the basement floor at the bottom. One wall had the standard wall built 3/4" short, blocking every 3rd stud bay on the basement wall side between studs was ram-set into the concrete. Both methods seemed to work. I wouldn't use the ram-set fastener in block.

Quote:
Do I need to do anything special to attach the floor plate to the concrete?
Use what you want...many like tapcons, I prefer the Remington powder fastner available at most big box stores. Fast and secure. I wouldn't use the fasteners in a load bearing situation...but for a plate to floor situation, they're fine. Do you have radiant heat in the floor, if you do be careful and re-think mechanical fasteners and look at construction glue.

Quote:
There is a floor drain, and I'd like to use carpet, so do I have to do anything special, such as leaving it uncovered?
Probably not. Can you get into the trap? If so there are rubber test plugs that will tighten down, expanding to make an air tight seal for the drain to keep the sewer gas out when the trap dries out. Then above the drain, you can use just about anything to level out the floor from plywood to floor leveling compound. I like to use 3/4" plywood glued to the concrete with floor leveling compound to make it flush with the surrounding area.

You might want to check local codes also, is that the only way for surface water to get out? If so you may have to leave it.

Quote:
Should I drywall the ceiling again, or use a drop ceiling?
I personally don't like drop ceilings, but it depends on how much stuff you have to work around, what you like and your skill level.

Quote:
Thanks for any help.
This group likes pictures...and when you get to the point of having specific questions, take a picture of what you're describing and ask the questions...lots of folks here will give you great advice. Good luck with your project.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

finishing a basement

I like metal studs in this kind of situation. All you need is snips to cut them, lightweight and so easier to tote down the stairs, you don't have to worry about warped stock, and they have key ways for running your electrical through. Just a lot easier to work with.

I prefer drop ceilings in basement spaces because you can run your flex ductwork above it and you can use drop-in fluorescent light fixtures. Besides, I hate hanging drywall lids ;-)
http://www.icanfixupmyhome.com/Suspe...lCeilings.html

Chagres
http://www.icanfixupmyhome.com
Chagres is offline   Reply With Quote