Finishing "attic" Space - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 522

Finishing "attic" space

not even sure why this was considered attic space besides the fact they didn't finish it...

but I have a room that is 20ft long and 28 ft wide. The entire house was done with 2x10 floor joists 16" O.C., including all attic spaces... EXCEPT this one... This room was done with 2x6's for the flood joists and of course they have a 13ft span on one side and a 15 ft span on the other

The charts I looked at, 2x6 is inadequate for that span, so I can't deck this as it is... I did notice that a lot of 2x10 species at structural quality can easily span 15ft with 40/20 loads

if you where to finish this space how would you do it? I obviously need to go to 2x10's just to even get the same height as the rest of the house's flooring... the rest of the house is 2x10 at 16" o.c. with 23/32 OSB subflooring then a 1/4" plywood top layer

Would you sister the existing joists? when you sister a larger board, how do you handle the decking lineing up with the joists where the joists are now 3" apart at the center overlap (area in the middle load bearing point where two joists would normally touch side by side when you have two boards to make up one long joist run)

Advertisement

House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 602

Finishing "attic" space

Post some pictures.

What do you have for rafters, or are they trusses?
How wide is the stairway to the attic, and what's the head room from tip of stair tread to ceiling at the lowest point?

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 522

Finishing "attic" space

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Post some pictures.

What do you have for rafters, or are they trusses?
How wide is the stairway to the attic, and what's the head room from tip of stair tread to ceiling at the lowest point?
I'll have to get the pics later, not home right now.

There is no stairs.. This attic space is on the same level as the 2nd floor, its esentially an unfinished room you just walk from the 2nd floor hallway though the last door right into unfinished space like it was any other room on the 2nd floor

they are all rafters, height from the floor to the collar ties is just over 8', has a pretty good amount of area at that 8' height (about 7 ft wide at 8' before you start to hit the roof rafters sloping down) if I was to have a shed dormer put on the back of the roof we'd have an easy 20 ft wide room at 8')
House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote