Finished Look For Concrete - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Finished Look for Concrete

I have poured some concrete (Sakrete) forms as bases for lamp posts. The electrical conduit and wires were in place first. So are J-Bolts with which to secure the lamp posts.

Now, I seem to recall somewhere in the recesses of my brain (I think the last time I did anything with concrete was about 40 years ago...) that it is possible to apply a coat of special concrete or similar material to give your work a smooth, finished look, one in which you can also apply a bevel to the edges for aesthetic purposes. I think I would like to do that to the visible portion of these bases before I mount the lamp posts.

1. What is the technique called, and what material do I use?

2. Is this advisable? Will such material eventually crack and crumble?

3. I assume that with the application of this material, I will be able to ensure a sort of "final correction" to any leveling issues. Correct?

Answers will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Silkcityflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,482

It's done with a trowel and edging tools when the concrete is poured. If the concrete is hardened you are stuck with what you see.

Advertisement

Silkcityflorida (12-02-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkcityflorida View Post
I have poured some concrete (Sakrete) forms as bases for lamp posts. The electrical conduit and wires were in place first. So are J-Bolts with which to secure the lamp posts.

Now, I seem to recall somewhere in the recesses of my brain (I think the last time I did anything with concrete was about 40 years ago...) that it is possible to apply a coat of special concrete or similar material to give your work a smooth, finished look, one in which you can also apply a bevel to the edges for aesthetic purposes. I think I would like to do that to the visible portion of these bases before I mount the lamp posts.

1. What is the technique called, and what material do I use?

2. Is this advisable? Will such material eventually crack and crumble?

3. I assume that with the application of this material, I will be able to ensure a sort of "final correction" to any leveling issues. Correct?

Answers will be greatly appreciated.
Ayuh,... While Joed is Right, it's usually all done when the mud is just poured,...

You might get satisfactory results doin' what ya wanta do, with Mason's Mortar, Type "S", or maybe Hyd. Grout....
Either of which, may, or may not crack, 'n crumble...
Of course, Either of which, may last for many a year...

I've done a few things with Hyd. Grout, that I was told won't work, but as of 6 years, 'n runnin',...
I'm still Happy with it...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

NS grout would likely hold up just fine, but the problem with it is that it's self-leveling, regardless of how dry you mix it, which makes it difficult to shape. You would likely need to build a form first and let it set-up for a while before removing.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:

Tags
cement , concrete