Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #1

Share |

finished basement leaking

I'm not sure where this thread should go so feel free to move it if necessary.

I have a finished basement. Last night we had a heavy rainstorm. We got about a half inch of water in our basement. It's a finished basement so we don't know what the condition is like behind the drywall. Floors are tiled so no cracks are visible. I don't thin it's coming from the sump since the area around the sump is dry.

What should I do? Do I rip off all the drywall looking for cracks? Or is there something else I can try? This is the 2nd time this has happened. 1st time was also under heavy rain conditions.

Please advise.

edta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

First question is, how is the grade slope from the foundation to the yard, are the gutters clean, and extended away from the foundation. Who finished this basement, was it done before you bought the house, and if so, how long have you been there, due to you may have recourse.

As for the problem, get fans down there & a dehumidifier to help dry out the space.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #3

Water can come in from a few places. You should be able to determine where these are.
Cracks in the foundation, usually under the windows or the main structural beam where it sits on/in the foundation.
Window wells that fill up due to grading or clogged gutters and come in through the windows.
From the post, it seems the water was everywhere when you saw it. Next rain storm, check it out as it's raining to see where it initially comes in. If you can't be there, set up cameras. Finding the point of entry will simplify the eventual solution to stopping it.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #4

Thanks. I have another problem now.

I have another house, finished basement again. This time the floor is carpeted. Part of the carpet is damp. It's another leak again. Isolated to only 1 room though. I REALLY don't want to remove the carpet. Is there something I can do or spray that can prevent mold from settling in? I have the dehumidifier set to the lowest. We can put a fan in there to hurry the drying.

What can we do?! Will I HAVE to remove the carpet?

Last edited by edta1; 07-23-2011 at 11:25 PM.
edta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edta1 View Post

I have another house, finished basement again. This time the floor is carpeted. Part of the carpet is damp. It's another leak again. Isolated to only 1 room though. I REALLY don't want to remove the carpet. Is there something I can do or spray that can prevent mold from settling in? I have the dehumidifier set to the lowest. We can put a fan in there to hurry the drying.

You can do what you want, but companies that do this for a living, pull the carpet up, remove the padding(throw it out) and put fans in that blow under the wet areas until they're dry. If your carpet has no padding and is low pile, you might get away with leaving it in place and drying from above.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by edta1 View Post

Same thing as mentioned before. Fans & Dehumidifiers.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote