Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #1

Share |

finished attic floor?

I am finishing my attic right now and the current floor from the previous home owner is 1/2" osb with 1/4" luan over that. I have ripped the luan up cause it was poorly installed. The 1/2" osb is in good shape and pretty sturdy, some of the joints that are perpendicular to the joist(2x8's spaced 16" o.c.) have a little flex. I really don't want to carry 3/4" tongue and groove osb up three stories if i don't have to. Can i put another layer of something over the 1/2 osb and screw it down staggering the joints and be ok to lay laminite flooring? Any advice on this is much appreciated. Thanks

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:09 PM   #2

finished attic floor?

As of now i am going to put down either another layer of 1/2" osb or a layer of luan screwed down right this time. I am going to have to use some floor leveler cause some spots are about 1/2" low. Am i going in the right direction with this? Do i put the floor leveler down before the next layer of osb or after? I will be putting laminate flooring down for the finished floor. Thanks for any advice on this.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #3

finished attic floor?

I would put the leveler on top of the first layer of OSB. This way the second layer has even support under it and no voids which would be created by staggering the seams from layer to layer.
I would check with the laminate manufacturer before you put down OSB to make sure it's an underlayment that's approved for use with the product.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #4

finished attic floor?

Thanks ron. I will check with dupont about the osb underlayment. If i put the leveler down first and let it dry and then the second layer of osb will it be ok to screw threw the leveler or will the screws chip or bust the self leveler? Thanks
Old 02-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #5

finished attic floor?

To be safe about chipout, I would use adhesive over the leveler. This is a small area we're talking about, isnt it?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

finished attic floor?

My question: If you use floor leveler, how are you going to keep it from flowing through all the sheathing cracks, and over the edges into the wall bays?
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

finished attic floor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
.... I really don't want to carry 3/4" tongue and groove osb up three stories if i don't have to. Can i put another layer of something over the 1/2 osb and screw it down staggering the joints and be ok to lay laminite flooring? Any advice on this is much appreciated. Thanks

First off, you don't have to lug any plywood up, if you have it delivered and boomed in (assuming that there is a location for it to pass-thru).

Second, consider using a 3/8" plywood. Glue down all areas. Shim low spots up to a reasonable level, with cheap roof shingles, placed under the 3/8" ply.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #8

finished attic floor?

I've never used floor leveler before so it would be a learning experience for me. I don't know about the cracks, maybe duct tape? There are walls up all around besides the stair opening which i could build a temp "edge" to stop the flow. I can't boom 4x8 sheets in unless i take the windows completely out. To use shingles as shims do i just get it as close as possible and screw down 3/8 plywood? Do the shingles leave any kind of smell? Thanks for your help guys.