Finish My Basement - Need Some Help On A Quote - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Finish my basement - Need some help on a quote

Some input would be appreciated!

In the next few weeks a few good friends of mine are going to come in and finish my basement. Ive asked them all to qoute me on how much (above all materials) they want. The basement is roughly 600Sq feet, with the normal amount of boxing to be done, the ceiling will be drywalled, i live in an attaached townhouse so there will not be a need for insulation. The floor will be a faux wood, so no need to really level it. There will be two additional walls which will need to be constructed to enclose the furnace/laudry room, the room will be no larger then 8x8. The stairs going down have already been drywalled but not tapped. No electrical has been run into the basement. I know to properly give a quote would require actually seeing the basement, but do your best. Its a brand new townhome as well.

http://www.crystalhomes.com/tree/gen...Republique.pdf

above is the site with the model. I do not have bathroom, nor will i be putting one in, it will be enclosed as a storage closet.

Friend 1 will be studding, framing, drywalling and laying the floor. He has estimated this to take him around 7-8 days (70 hours) to finish, and has quoted be 2,000 for his work. I find this high, im not in the trades so when i break this down it works out to $31.25/hour cash, which is like making close to 90K a year before tax. I know the trades quote on sq/ft. Is this reasonable? should i go back to buddy and say WTF?

Materials for friend 1 - 2500

Friend 2 - tapping, free

Friend 3 - electrical, 70 bones an hour?

Friend 4 - cable drops - $100 for the basement.

Total cost to finish is roughly 5500-6000

All friends are legit, have been working in the trades for a number of years. The only problem is friend 1 has never done side jobs, and is getting these numbers from guys at his work. He truly believes that $2000 is a extremely fair amount, because of my lack of experience i cant fully agree...i just see 31.25 an hour as being high...some feedback would be nice.

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Finish my basement - Need some help on a quote

This site is geared towards DIY, not cost estimates
If you think your friends quote is too high, get some other local estimates
Thank you

Advertisement

Closed Thread