Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fines For Inconsistent Shingles?

I found this interesting:

"As if it wasnít tragedy enough when a plane fell out of the sky destroying a Sanford, Fla., manís home, his HOA then challenged his rebuilding efforts. It threatened litigation because the shingles and elevation in his new houseís plans didnít match his neighborsí."

Read more: http://www.houselogic.com/articles/n...#ixzz10MovL5pu

JoeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 506

I think he needs to countersue the HOA for failing to prevent an unauthorized vehicle from parking in his house.

WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WillK For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (09-23-2010)
Old 09-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

This is why we beat the German's, but for some reason they are now running our HOA's. He just needs to tell them to stick it, and then sell the place to the lowest bidder and move out.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Unfortunately , the HOA is the one that has the legal ground here. This is a perfect example of why the idea of buying a home in an "oh so pristine, perfectly planed " development that looks and sounds so appealing usually ends up being hated by the majority of the residents a few years down the road. When the restrictive covenents are suddenly biteing at your heels, they are not as wonderful as they were when they were stopping your neighbors projects.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 506

Ya know, in all seriousness really what the guy should've done is had the house rebuilt as it was originally so he could sell it.

If the HOA runs as the one I was in ran, he probably had a real problem... Having to submit plans to the HOA and getting their approval before starting work would mean he'd probably have had to have months of temporary housing cost he probably would not have been reimbursed by his insurance.

The HOA probably should have had a management company that drives through the neighborhood at least once a week, and noticed unapproved construction underway and given him notice that he needs to get approval.

When people get into HOA neighborhood, they just don't realize that the HOA was initially set up by a builder to protect the builder, and once the builder is out there isn't really much accountability to the homeowners, you have to rely on the good will of the HOA board - which the fact is, there's so much crap that goes with being on the board, anyone whose good will you can rely on isn't going to put up with the job, so you only end up with people so intent on having things their way they don't care how much anyone else complains.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillK View Post
I think he needs to countersue the HOA for failing to prevent an unauthorized vehicle from parking in his house.

DM
Old 09-23-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Thanks Will, I needed a good laugh tonight!

DM
Old 09-23-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

This is why I would NEVER buy a house that has a HOA. They have some of the stupidest rules. It could be a mansion for the price of a shack, I still would not buy it.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote